1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine rpms stay high after pedal release, mpg way down.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Joecasciojr, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Joecasciojr

Joecasciojr New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My Prius has been sporadically acting up in the following way. When I accelerate, the engine rpms go up more than usual, and the acceleration is not up to par. Then, when I let off the gas pedal, the engine rpms return to idle slowly, rather than immediately. All this is accompanied by a big loss in gas mileage, like 25%.

But then, just as suddenly, all will return to normal. I took it to my dealer, and of course, it wouldn't do it for them. Anyone experience this behavior? It's as though the transmission is slipping.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    very unusual behavior. anything we should know about the car? how many miles on her?

first rule of thumb here is to check the 12v.

Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just a guess and hopefully the experts will chime in soon but maybe a dirty throttle body? Seems like maybe the throttle is sometimes getting stuck or lagging.

4. Joecasciojr

Joecasciojr New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nothing unusual. Only about 40,000 on it.

5. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What is the state of charge (SOC) of your traction battery during these incidents? The ICE will be more involved when the SOC is 3 or less bars.

6. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would try to clean the throttle body first, also check engine air filter as well. If there's no check engine light, its mostly mechanical issues. If there's any sensor issues or ecu issues, it will pop up a CEL sooner or later.

7. Joecasciojr

Joecasciojr New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hmmm... Possibly. But would that explain the decrease in acceleration power vs. RPMs?
    The dealer checked it all over, including the air filters and the computer, no codes were thrown. Puzzling.

8. Joecasciojr

Joecasciojr New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you. I'll mention that when I bring it in again. I guess I'll just have to wait until it exhibits this behavior continuously. They checked the air filter and it was ok. Also checked the computer for codes and there were none.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd second checking the 12 volt battery's condition. I always disconnect the 12 volt when doing brake work, and I notice subsequently, just for the first one or two drives, it'll do odd rev-up, like it's recalibrating something. Might be a failing 12 volt is making this a chronic condition in your car? (n)

Start with just checking voltage with a multimeter, and then if you want to get more DIY in-depth, something like the Solar BA5 can check it's health. Most battery retailers will have something similar but pro-level, and will do a check for free. Or the dealership, for a "modest" charge.

10. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    you can clean the throttle body yourself, it takes less than 15 mins. We also have a video on our YouTube channel so you don't have to pay the dealership to do this for you. Save yourself some money :)

11. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have exactly the same behaviour when the battery was too hot or too cold to cooperate, when lift of the throthle the engine slowly goes down with rpm.

12. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The only way it might is if either the car or you are subconsciously compensating for the reduced power with more throttle. But the car running the engine more to charge one of the batteries is a good possibility too. If the battery was hot it could have been a protect mode thing. Not sure.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    weather has been pretty mild up here lately.

14. Adrien Prevost

Adrien Prevost New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there,
    I have a 2010 Prius with 117,000 miles and for a couple months now I’m having the same weird issue. I was wondering if you figured out why your Prius was behaving like it did?
    Thank you!!
    Adrien

15. Drowsychicken

Drowsychicken New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I am having the same issue on my 2011 Prius. Any updates on what the issue is caused by?

16. Welshdog

Welshdog Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Seeing similar behavior on our 2010 Prius with 97k miles. Engine RPMs sometimes stay high after releasing pedal. Gas mileage is lower over last couple of months. Engine is also using oil, but that apparently is normal for Prius models of this age.

17. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My sister just called me saying her 2010 is doing this. On my way to check it out. We already replaced the engine. the engine doesn't have many miles. I think it might be overheated battery

18. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If she's blasting the ac and the soc is low, you may experience this problem

19. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah she had the ac blasting, but she said the battery was at 4 bars. She also said the engine is ideling in park, but not even charging the battery because its not low. Odd! Maybe drying 12v? The 12v could possibly be 9 years old...

20. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It could definitely be the 12V but if the battery temp is high enough (I think it’s around 116 F) the engine won’t shut off to protect it.

Robert Holt likes this.