1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Running at Traffic Lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Marvinh, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Marvinh

Marvinh Marvin

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    As we all know (I assume :rolleyes:) the engine shuts off at traffic lights. However in very cold weather, the engine continues to run to produce heat, even at traffic lights. So here's my question:

I have noticed even though the engine continues to run, the Energy Monitor screen is not showing this. In other words, the Energy Monitor screen is blank if the engine is running at traffic lights.

Has anyone else noticed this? I guess its normal?

Thanks - Marvin

2. Qlara

Qlara New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That means the engine is just running to produce waste-heat.
    It's not actively charging to the battery (unless it's low) or doing work to the wheels.

3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Normal...

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's an Energy Monitor screen, not an Engine Status screen. There is no indication that the engine is running, only that it is sending power to the battery and/or wheels.

Tom

5. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mine also runs when stopped, if it's in "Brake".

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    A quick logic chart of when the engine runs, as observed on the Scangauge II. Probably forgot -something- but:

IF the coolant is below about 63C AND the A/C system is calling for heat, the engine will run. If you shut of the A/C auto on the steering wheel while stopped, the engine will also stop.

IF the coolant drops below about 63C while stopped AND the A/C system is calling for heat, the engine will start.

IF the coolant is below about 40C the engine will run no matter what the A/C system is doing.

IF the coolant has gone above about 63C AND you have exceeded about 62 km/hr AND the coolant is STILL above about 63C the engine will stop when the system considers it unnecessary to keep it running ("stage 4"), whether you are moving or not.

Whenever the traction battery gets too low the engine will start and/or run until it is charged back up enough, regardless of the above.

7. Marvinh

Marvinh Marvin

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Folks. Thanks for your replies. I was asking because its pretty cold here in New York and my gas mileage is not very good right now. :eek:

Thanks - Marvin