1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine running very rough after cold night...

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Preebee, Jan 10, 2024.

1. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    So I started my car up this morning. It was cold (32F), but nothing severe. Much to my dismay, the engine ran REALLY rough. With my average knowledge of engine mechanics, it seemed like there was a lifter stuck and the engine was firing on less than 4 cylinders. It wasn't a knocking sound like when a rod is out, more like whoof whoof whoof. I could distinctly feel the engine missing out through my accelerator pedal. I eventually drove away. I'd say it cleared up in about 45 secs to a minute. The last time I drove it was Sunday. Yesterday (Tues.) I went outside and let it run through a warm-up cycle since it hadn't been started for two days. So no long sits, no ultra-severe cold. Wth happened to my baby? This engine is more than proven in the Corolla.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What do you remember about the last time you used the car before it sat in the cold?

Any chance that could have been a brief use (move it around in the driveway or something, or anyway short enough the engine didn't really warm up)?

Preebee likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe some unburned hydrocarbons settled back into the intake manifold after the warm up cycle yesterday?

Preebee likes this.
  4. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Yesterday, I hit the button and let it run through a complete warm-up cycle until the engine shut off. Then I turned it off and went back inside. I hadn't driven the car anywhere since Sunday as we had a snow and didn't need to get out. Nothing unusual happened when I started it yesterday. The warm-up cycle sounded smooth and normal. Today however... the engine sounded like it was going to fall apart.

***Called the service center and they say they had a new Tacoma truck in the other day complaining of the exact same thing. Of course the service center couldn't duplicate the problem. I will wait to see if it happens again before bringing her in for a check-up. Colder weather coming. Maybe I shouldn't do the "warm-up" thing anymore without actually driving? Thought I was being helpful. :(

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Atkinsonized engines push some unburned fuel into the air intake. That area may not of warmed up and some fuel pooled instead reaching the carbon trap.

Preebee likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it might be better to take it for a spin than just let it go through the warm up, idk.

maybe something you'll have to experiment with.

Preebee likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    MIght be a factor. Very short run-times (say just a few seconds) then shut down have been found to cause knocking at next start up, on previous gens, gen 3 in particular.

FWIW, our '10 can be sitting for a week sometimes (on a 12 volt charger). Never any start up problems.

Preebee likes this.
  8. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    The car didn't throw any codes?

Yeah, I would turn the heat on and let the car run longer until it got to normal operational temperature.

Preebee likes this.
  9. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    It ran for the full warm-up cycle (at least several minutes).

Now that I think about it, I did push the gas a couple times toward the end of its warm-up. Of course there's no response from the accelerator like you'd expect with a normal car. It did rev up just a slight bit. Maybe that put extra gas somewhere? But when I turned it off, the engine had already self-shutdown and ran perfectly from start to finish.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    No codes. Just acted like it caught a bad, BAD case of Covid. :sick:

11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You did the equivalent of a very short drive in which not everything got roasty toasty.

Preebee likes this.
  12. jeremnyc

jeremnyc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I only drive on the weekends and my car starts right up on Fridays. I would skip the warm up runs-

Preebee likes this.
  13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Toyota's analysis of the rattle after cold soak did not involve unburned fuel in the manifold. It involved condensed clear water in the manifold's EGR passages, which are small-bore with outlets lined right up with the cylinder head's intake ports.

Exhaust is 13 percent water, and the analysis seems to imply that after a non-warmed-up brief run, in cold weather, an excessive amount of that water condenses and remains in those small passages.

On the next start, the EGR valve should be closed, as it is when starting, so there isn't flow through that system. But the small passages contain some water, and air at atmospheric pressure, and starting the engine pulls the intake down to the typical vacuum for idle, so the air that's behind the trapped water expands, and the water gets squirted into the cylinders.

It has only happened to me *knocks on nearby wooden object* one time in the last eight years, and sure enough it was on a cold morning when the night before I had just started the car to move from one parking place to another. But omigosh did the engine rock'n'roll and shake the car and sound awful, until it cleared up.

The TSB that Toyota released for the issue included a redesigned manifold with the EGR passages a funnier shape, apparently to make the water-snorting less likely. But whichever manifold you've got, it seems you can avoid the issue fairly well by not doing that very short drive before a cold soak thing.

14. PickyAudioGuy

PickyAudioGuy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    EGR issue is possibly correct. 2010 Prius here and I had an EGR failure a few years ago. Engine sounded so scary missing and clunking (barely running). I panicked and shut it down. Tried two more times same thing. Apparently engine was warming during the attempts and on 4th try engine cleaned up so I drove it to the dealer where they confirmed EGR fail.

Preebee likes this.
  15. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wouldn't think it's the EGR in a 2023, it would surprise me since they resolved that issue in the Gen 4's.

If it were me, I'd get the oil changed if it's been longer than 6-months no matter how many miles are on it. Also, get it all the way warmed up and do an Italian tuneup on her...helps push out a lot of gunk and junk in the ICE.

Preebee and Mendel Leisk like this.
  16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Keep in mind that the condensed-water snort should not be confused with an EGR "issue".

The condensed water ends up in the EGR passages just because, well, exhaust is 13% water, and if the conditions and temperature are right, the water will condense there.

The next time the engine starts, the water gets blown out simply because it's there and air at atmospheric pressure will expand into manifold vacuum and shoot the water out, not because anything has gone wrong with the EGR.

A car could have an EGR issue also, but that'd be its own thing.

Preebee likes this.
  17. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Definitely not going to do the warm-up session and shut-off again. Took her out for a nice drive yesterday, she started up like normal - sounded like a sewing machine. Drove around for like 40mins in 32F weather listening to some music and did maybe 5 or 6 strong accelerations. Put her back in the garage w/ 62mpg's on the screen.

Oil is brand new @ColoradoBoo. Just got it changed recently. Car has under 6,000 miles.

ColoradoBoo likes this.
  18. daisy555

daisy555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    . Sounds scary but it doesn’t take much these days for me to be worried. Hope your baby just had a temporary hiccup!

Preebee likes this.
  19. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    If felt worse than a hiccup! But water in the combustion chamber would match what I was feeling/hearing. Not good! :cautious:

20. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In my experience, that avoidance method works roughly 99.5% of the time, so yeah, only "fairly well." Maybe only 98% when the ambient temperature is in the 40-60°F range, combined with high humidity. This is in a 2011 with original intake manifold.