1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine shaking at 30-40 mph after lots of EGR cleaning.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by bobbintb, Jun 1, 2022.

1. bobbintb

bobbintb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Here's a quick synopsis of my issue. My 2012 Prius started using lots of oil. Then I noticed it would occasionally be a little shaking when backing out of the drive way. Eventually, I got a check engine light. I don't recall the exact code but I think it was about the air/fuel mixture. So, I researched a bunch and ended up cleaning the EGR valve, EGR pipe, EGR cooler, intake manifold, and replacing the spark plugs and PCV valve. Just knock it all out at once. But now it seems to shake at around 30-40 mph, which it hadn't done before. I've only driven it once and that was in town so I don't know what it's like at higher speeds. It was shaking pretty roughly for a few seconds the first time I started it after putting it all back together. I don't know if that's relevant or not. I figured it's just loose carbon or some results of removing everything and putting it all back together. Any suggestions?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you connect the MAF sensor wire? Many forget this and get a check engine light

3. bobbintb

bobbintb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yes, I just double-checked too. The one at the top of the intake manifold, right? I mostly followed this:

I think I was pretty thorough in checking I reconnected everything. I went back over the video a few times to make sure. The check engine light came on before I ever started any work on it.

4. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What's the odometer say? Is the engine coolant level stable?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No, the mass air flow sensor is the one up high in the air duct coming from the air cleaner box.[/QUOTE]

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's somewhat normal to have shaking and rough running after putting everything back together after cleaning out everything you did, especially if there was any residual water or other cleaners in the intake manifold.

It's really easy to miss putting all of the vacuum lines and connectors back in the right places, there's so many of them it's easy to miss something. Also easy to miss tightening something up to spec, also resulting in a potential vacuum leak.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. bobbintb

bobbintb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    [/QUOTE]
    Sorry, that's what I meant. I looked it up and it was the one I was thinking. Just described it wrong. I'll have to check the ODO and level. I added coolant after I put everything back.

8. bobbintb

bobbintb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    That's kind of what I figured which is why the shaking when I turned it on didn't concern me. I went to the store and back and that's when I noticed the 30-40 mph shaking. Although it isn't consistent. What would be up to spec tightening? I used hand tools, no impacts. I have a tendency to overtighten since I was young, which is something I've had to look out for once adulthood came along. I tightened as hard as I could by hand without getting crazy. If it's something that will likely go away, I won't worry about it. I'm just not as confident in my automotive knowledge as I am in other technical endeavors.

9. Noahdoge

Noahdoge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What brand spark plug? Were they purchased from an authorized dealer of Denso or NGK? I’ve seen people have similar issues with counterfeit or incorrect plugs.

xliderider likes this.
  10. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    @bobbintb, you need to get some torque wrenches. You can't "guess", or make it as tight as possible, that's a good way to end up with stripped threads, broken bolts, or studs. Then you'll really be in a bind.

Mendel Leisk has posted pdf files of all the relevant information for the intake manifold, EGR system components, and the throttle body, all of them contain the torque specifications for the nuts and bolts.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah first link in my signature.

Do post the miles on the car.

12. possumcar

possumcar New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mine is doing this exact shaking too after cleaning the egr. At the same time I replaced plugs, pcv valve. I have been driving it, I just go slower or faster to avoid the shaking. I’ll get in there now to check the maf sensor wire, I was sure all the hoses are hooked up and there’s plenty of coolant.

13. bobbintb

bobbintb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    A little update. I did use a torque wrench btw. I took it to my uncle, a semi-retired mechanic. The error code said there was a misfire. Turns out I had a defective spark plug. Everything seemed a bit better, maybe it was just wishful thinking because it's still shaking and the check engine light came back on. I don't know what the error code is yet. When I cleaned the intake manifold I didn't clean the mass air flow sensor. I don't know if that has anything to do with it but I'll clean that anyway. There is about 190k miles on it so it's been around. But this is the first issue we've really had with it and I've taken good care of it and made my regular maintenance appointments.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Which cylinder did you suspect of having defective spark plug? Cylinder one and sometimes two is where the head gaskets commonly let go, and 190k is late in the day for preventative measures (EGR cleaning). The computer(s) invariably register coolant leak into cylinder as misfire, code P03xx, with the x’s for cyl no.

15. bobbintb

bobbintb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It said there was a misfire on one and four. One had the defective spark plug. The porcelain was broken inside or something. The filament in the center was freely sliding up and down. My uncle said sometimes one misfire can cause another and suspected that's what was happening with four. I do have a regularly scheduled maintenance appointment at the dealer tomorrow and hopefully they can give me for information. I don't want to keep bothering my uncle about it and he lives 20 miles away as well. I do have a cheap OBD2 bluetooth scanner but the damn thing never worked.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. bobbintb

bobbintb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    It's been a while and I had this resolved. Just to give an update, I ended up just taking it into Toyota. I'm glad I did because there were a few issues that took the tech a while to sort out. I don't recall exactly but if anyone is curious I can probably find the invoice.

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes that'd be interesting. Just mask out your info, name, address, etcetera.

Did you ever mention the miles on the car?