1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Shimmey during maintenance throttle

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by teamneon, Dec 7, 2015.

1. teamneon

teamneon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This just started 2 weeks ago and has progressively gotten worse.
    I can take off fine, but when i ease off the throttle to level out my speed (it can be at 30mpg or 70mph it doesn't matter) I get a shimmey in the engine. If i give it gas or let totally off the throttle it goes away.
    I've even heard some clanking a few times. Almost feels like a car with a broke engine mount...other than the fact it only does it when leveling out.
    I had a local shop just check the basics underneath, axles, mounts etc and they said it looked fine.
    No engine light so I dont feel its a sensor. Kinda of makes me think the link between the electric motor and the gas motor is sending mixed signals. Anyone heard of this before?
    Taking it to toyota this week I guess.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not understanding "during maintenance throttle" in the title. Did you do a throttle body cleaning? Or is it just a misunderstood phrase, similar to saying you're just pressing hard enough on the gas to maintain speed? I'm guessing the latter.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

4. caedward

caedward Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model: