1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine shimmy/shake

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by seeh2o, Mar 6, 2004.

1. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I have a 2004 white #3, got it Feb. 20. The car is so different than my last car that I am still trying to learn about what is "normal" and what isn't.

When I start the car it is silent, naturally, but after 30 seconds or so the gas engine turns on and gives the car quite a shimmy or shake. It feels like when you are parked on the side of a freeway and a big tractor trailor goes by. Is this normal or is this a problem? It doesn't shake/shimmy everytime, but I can always feel the gas engine kick in.

I live in Los Angeles, so the weather never really goes below 55 this time of year, so I'm guessing temp. is not a factor.

I would really appreciate hearing from those of you with more experience with this car than I have. Thanks so much!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's pretty normal and it will deminish with time/miles. It'll do that at times at stops as well as the ICE shuts down.

3. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Thanks, that's a relief to hear! What is ICE? :icecream:

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Internal Combustion Engine--the gas engine. As opposed to MG1 & MG2 or the electric Motors.