1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Shut Off while Driving up hill?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by inferno, Mar 20, 2014.

1. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ok, this freaked me out BIG time.

A snowstorm hit, I was making my way up a slippery hill, wheels spinning.

Then all of a sudden I felt the power of the engine weaken to almost off! I push the pedal to the medal and the "power screen" showed that the bar went all the way to the left as if the engine was completely off and wasn't responding.

It got so bad that I was almost at a COMPLETE standstill on a slippery hill and almost slipping backwards.

I thought quickly, held off on the gas, switched to power mode, churned again and only got power for a second before it gave up again.

What gives? Is it for protecting the traction battery that it shuts off if it spins too much? That doesn't make too much sense because I wasn't going in the "PWR" zone on the right. I eased my way up the hill and it shut off, that's when I pushed the pedal down all the way (and it was quite easy to push down actually).

How weird and scary :( - cars were right behind me, luckily going slow as well.

2. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    On Monday when my 11 hatchback had the software update the tech said it was to avoid stalling ice problems.

3. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Is that the situation? Engine turns off to prevent overheating on ice? Interesting how that's software based...

4. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Lot's of speculation on the chat about what was going to be done to the car, from taking away the regen from the front brakes to taking away the traction battery while the ice is running, but... I was told the software update was to avoid stalling ice.
    As it's a digital device running software (code), changing the code seems to be the way it is, seems rather like Microsoft releasing windows 95 when it was beta and letting feedback from the retail sector find all the bugs, well not that extreme, but, at least Toyota is fixing problems.

5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The software update has nothing to do with the OP's problem. The current software update is to prevent the overheating of the Boost Converter power components resulting in stopping the car.

Your situation was that with the wheels slipping the car shut down to protect the Power Split Device from damage. You should have seen indicating lights on the MID such as ASB, VSC, etc.

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes...the recall update has nothing to do with this.

And I do think it was The Prius protecting it's power split device.

Was your traction control icon on and blinking?
    The Prius has an IMO aggressive traction control to protect the electric motors from over spinning.

When your wheels start spinning or losing traction either while accelerating or braking, the traction control can kick in and make the vehicle act in ways you might not like or expect.

It's the computer thinking it knows best for itself and better than you.

7. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The "slipping" warning light was on. Maybe that's what it was. I was fearing I would blow the inverter because my car is on the recall list but I haven't sent it in yet because I don't overaccelerate at all. I drive slow.

In the storm I drove slower but without putting any power this happen.

Thanks for the insight. I didn't see any other blinking lights though. The power gauge just shut down and the acceleration peddle was just very easy to push all the way down.

A gas vehicle I think was just rev and slip as much as you push down the accelerator. I wonder if Toyota could fix this in the next version?

8. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It is fixed. Its to protect the transaxle or inverter. No spinning in a Prius. That is a good reason too have good winter tires on your Prius. H

9. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ah, after a re-read, I surmised improperly, 4-6" of fresh would possibly stop forward momentum if the front wheels were allowed to slip with full throttle

or....
    It was the ice shutting down, which the software update will fix;)