1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine sound on startup

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by iwannanewprius, Apr 10, 2017.

1. iwannanewprius

iwannanewprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2004 Prius, package 9, with about 93,000 miles on it.

I noticed recently that when I start up the car for the first time of the day the engine makes an unusual sound. I don't recall this happening during the previous 12 years I've owned this car. This does not happen every time I start up the car (even if it's been sitting at the parking lot all day at work) - only for the first startup of the day. I thought it may be weather related, but it happens in both cold and warmer weather. It also happens regardless of whether my hybrid battery indicator on the inside display is on the lower or the higher side. After about two minutes it will disappear and then I don't hear it for the rest of the day.

It sounds like the engine is really working hard to do something, even if the car is not moving. There is a more normal rattling engine noise, but the noise I'm concerned about is more of a whining type noise that accompanies the rattling noise.

I've made a short video from the outside of the car so you can hear the noise.

I appreciate any advice you can offer.

Many thanks!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could be trying to charge a weak hybrid battery. does the hybrid charge indicator fluctuate more than it used to? how are the mpg's?

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1. Is there oil in your engine?
    2. When was the last time you changed your water pump and belt?

edthefox5 likes this.
  4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Whenever your car makes you open it's hood time to start paying it some attention.

How do you take care of it...dealer oil changes?

At 93,000 miles in addition to what JC said its probably due for an engine coolant change really overdue for an Inverter coolant change and really really overdue for a transmission fluid change. At that miles it really helps to use high quality oil at least Mobil 1 and at 5-30 weight.