1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine stalls, check engine light + Red Triangle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dbandrew, Sep 19, 2010.

1. dbandrew

dbandrew New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2006, 2G, 43000K. This has happened twice now. Both times on an extended trip of 3+ hours in hot weather: Cruising along at about 70 MPH, the engine just quits. RED Triangle; check engine light; and vcs light. Turned everything off. Car would not restart right away, but after waiting 15 minutes or so, the car restarts and runs fine. All warning lights off except check engine light.

Immediately drove to a Toyota dealership where the following codes were found: P0AOF info 204 (Enging failed to start); and P3190 (poor enging power). The Tech checked the EFI relay; checked for oil puddled in intake; and checked for a contaminated MAF sensor. "No problems found"!

After the second incident exactly 30 days later on the same trip, I went to a different Toyota dealership where the same codes were found - but again they could find nothing wrong.

I noticed in another thread that a similar situation was caused by the inverter coolant pump. Unfortunately (or fortunately) the code for that did not come up.

I usually only drive this car 30 minutes at a time to and from work. Have never had any problems.

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure if the coolant pump throws a code. I'm sure Patrick will know, but I suspect it is the inverter coolant pump.

1 person likes this.
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't think that the inverter coolant pump is the issue here, but that is easy enough to check. Make the car IG-ON (press POWER button 2x from IG-OFF, do not depress the brake pedal) then open the hood and find the pump behind the driver's headlight assembly. Listen for the sound of it running (like an aquarium pump) and also look at the inverter coolant reservoir to see turbulence in the fluid, which shows good circulation. Open the reservoir cap if needed to see inside.

Here is the list of suspect items for P3190:

Air induction system
    Throttle body
    Fuel pressure
    Engine
    Mass Air flow meter
    Out of fuel
    Engine coolant temperature sensor
    Crankshaft position sensor
    Camshaft position sensor
    ECM

The troubleshooting flowchart has the tech measure fuel line pressure, then test the components listed above. If all test good, then the engine ECU (ECM) is replaced.

I recommend that you make copies of your two repair invoices, then visit your selling dealer and tell the service manager that this problem has happened 2x to you while on long freeway trips, the car is unsafe to drive, and you want the repair tech to verify fuel line pressure, and test each sensor and the throttle body motor. If all are good, then ask that the ECM be replaced. Good luck.

2 people like this.
  4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I had the inverter coolant pump go out at 62,000 miles in my '05. Red Triangle, P0a93, but the engine didn't shut off.

What services have you had performed in the last 10,000 miles? Any recent changes to fuel economy?

This is an interesting and frustrating problem: the dying at 3 hours and restarting 15 minutes later on a hot day, for a problem that should be under warranty still. Intermittent failures are very tough to find if they can't be replicated in the shop. What could overheat and then reset itself? Fuel pump? Or is it just a faulty sensor (MAF) or sensor connection?

1 person likes this.
  5. dbandrew

dbandrew New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks all for the informative replies. I will take your advice. P0a93 Inverter coolant pump code did not appear. Only recent service has been routine oil change (Mobil 1 SAE 0-20). After the last incident the dealer did recommend and accomplish a throttle body cleaning service.

6. dbandrew

dbandrew New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update. Engine has quit again. Exact same symptoms. Engine restarts after 20 minute wait. All warning lights extinguish except for check engine light - which goes away after several hours. Coolent pump was replaced in January per recall - so I do not think that is the problem. Car is at the dealer now. They say they have never heard of this occurring and can not find anything wrong. Only code it throws is the same P3190. They won't replace the ECU because they can't duplicate the problem.

7. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    P3190 is usually a problem with a dirty/sticky throttle plate. Maybe all it needs is a good cleaning of the throttle body.

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, it *is* warmer now than in January. Maybe the dealer didn't get all the air out of the coolant line; that apparently is hard to do right.