1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

engine stalls on quick acceleration

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Wagnerjp25, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Wagnerjp25

Wagnerjp25 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2004 Prius with 100K plus, but this problem has occurred eever since I got the car used at 15K. When I am stopped, with the engine turned off, if I punch the gas to the floor for a quick acceleration (like crossing 2 lanes of a busy highway) the engine will stall. I have to pump the gas to get going. Scary when traffic is bearing down on me. I don't seem to have the same problem if I push the gas pedal down more slowly. I heard once that this stalling was a firmware problem, but I never got any recall notices about that.:eek:

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Stall? You mean, you actually hear the engine stop running? Or do you mean that the car doesn't want to accelerate momentarily, as though, oh, maybe, the tires were slipping?

3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My guess is the traction control is kicking in...

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Wagner. It's not really a stall. I have a 2004 and he does the same thing. There are numerous people here who have reported the exact same thing. I'm not a technical guy so I'll let one of the others explain exactly what's going on. What I do know is that a steady acceleration rather than a pedal stomp is many time more effective and will avoid the "stall" situation you describe. Once you get the steady acceleration down you will be able to make your Prius jump off the line.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I assume you are activating the traction control, which is very sensitive on your era of Prius. What type of tires are you running? Good tires will go a long way toward reducing this problem.

Tom

6. Wagnerjp25

Wagnerjp25 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, the engine definitely stalls. Quits. Dead. Then restarts after several seconds.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest you visit your local Toyota dealer and find out what they will charge to update your engine and hybrid vehicle ECUs with the latest firmware. Had you done this before 60K miles, you might have gotten this done at no charge under the powertrain warranty. Good luck.

8. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    If the engine is stalling, I'd think you'd get a CEL.

Not really relevant, but this 'scary' problem has occurred for 85K miles with no previous attempts at diagnosis?

9. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine reacts similarly when mashing the pedal and making a slight turn but every rarely does it do it from a dead stop and in a straight line. I have high performance 215/45/17 tires though so they are not likely to slip in a straight line. Your problem sounds like traction control kicking in where all power is cut momentarily. If it is not then you definately need to get it checked out.

10. Wagnerjp25

Wagnerjp25 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the many replies. I don't understand what the traction control is and why it cuts out.

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Traction control is designed to prevent you from spinning your wheels which could potentially cause you to either a)spin out, or b)over-rev your hybrid system.

Unfortunately Toyota designed it to be a bit too aggressive in the Prius where almost any slippage sensed causes a complete stop of the wheel rotation. This was improved in the Prius II 2006+ and apparently is much better in the Prius III.

12. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Traction control on Prius cuts power to both front wheels if one front wheel slips under acceleration. What you feel is the front tyres slipping, maybe on a white line or a man hole cover, the power is cut for a fraction of a second which feels like several seconds when you want to get going, then the power comes back on.
    Feed the power in rather than stomp on the power and the problem wont happen.
    Don't pump the pedal, just maybe lift off a little.