1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine temperature question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Ryan Will, Jun 14, 2023.

1. Ryan Will

Ryan Will Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello all…. I have a concern about my engine temperatures fluctuating a lot more than usual.

Today I was doing my usual commute and had Hybrid Assistant app running. Noticed my engine temperature fluctuating more than normal. Usually it stays at 195°F and will go up or down if there’s any strain (ie uphill or passing) or coasting.
    However, even with the slightest bit of extra use of the gas pedal, it would go to 197-199°F much more quickly, and stay at about 197 longer before going back to 194-195°.

I will admit I may be just paranoid but here’s some background on what’s been done to the car, etc.

Mileage is almost at 147,000 miles. Water pump, thermostat, coolant and spark plugs done at around 100,000 miles. EGR system, intake, etc. and catch can done maybe around 110,000 miles (don’t remember the exact number). No oil is burning, and no observed coolant level changes.

I do have an extra EGR cooler cleaned and ready to go once I tackle that whole thing again, as well as a brand new EGR valve that I plan to install at that time.

Again, I’m probably just reading into it more than I should but just thought I’d get some insights from here.

Thank you!

2. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would just continue watching the ECT. If you are not going above 203F, I would not worry about it.

I also watch my ECT because I want to catch a problem with the electric water pump before the engine overheats. I own a 2011 with 139k miles with the original water pump.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Drive the car 2 3 4°. Is nothing to talk about 10 plus and climbing etc.something