1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine turning off and on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tylerjames, Dec 29, 2015.

1. tylerjames

tylerjames Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello. I understand the engine turns on and off frequently (coming to a stop it turns off, then when going it turns on)

I have noticed that sometimes when at the stop it will turn off, then immediately back on, and off again, even with my foot on the break. is this normal, or a sign?

Thanks,

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not really. is your battery indicator acting strangely?

maybe check your 12 volt. is the heat on?

3. tylerjames

tylerjames Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    battery indicator seems normal. Yes sometimes my heat is on. Would that cause it to keep the engine on? I thought that was only AC

4. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Next time it bothers you try turning the heat control setting down to minimum and the engine should turn off and stay off. I've noticed that in winter.

Sometimes the engine needs to run to generate enough heat. The Prius might run fairly cool in city traffic, if the engine is turned off much of the time.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's actually the opposite. the a/c is electric, and the heat needs the engine running. if your on the cusp of a temp cutoff, it might turn on and off, but it shouldn't cycle quickly or often, that would be an anomaly.

valde3 likes this.