1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Vibrates Upon Starting

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kevdog67, Nov 27, 2022.

1. kevdog67

kevdog67 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,
    New to the forum. I have a 2010 Prius with 111k miles on it, oil was replaced about 2-3k miles ago. Twice this week upon starting the car when it was cold the engine vibrated alot for about 3 seconds then stopped and the car ran fine afterwards. I've read this could be the headgasket, has anyone else encountered this?

2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    First couple of links in my sig give EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) cleaning tips/links. Further down are a couple of head gasket links.

Test head gasket first; leak-down test and boroscope inspection (with pressurized coolant system) are good.

Then get on the EGR cleaning. My 2 cents, cleaning the EGR system (including intake manifold) every 50k miles is the way to avoid head gasket failure.

Toyota doesn’t want to acknowledge or help; they’re on record regarding EGR cleaning, saying in a Warranty Extension Notice:

upload_2022-11-27_13-53-12.png

Their offer is to wait for a P0401 code, or cold-start shakes. By that time the damage is done.

The highlighted portion is a flat-out lie: they all clog, all the 3rd gen Prius, and Prius v.

#3 Mendel Leisk, Nov 27, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
  4. kevdog67

kevdog67 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just spoke with my local mechanic and he said until the check engine light is on he will not know the code. I just drove the car and did not have the vibration. Should I not get concerned until I get a check engine light?

5. Paladain55

Paladain55 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Typically if you wait until the check engine light comes on thats more or less when the head gasket has had timed to fail completely. I'm assuming you aren't mechanically savvy. Tell him to replace the intake manifold or clean it first whichever way he charges less. Replace or clean the pcv valve as well.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If your mechanic is averse to cleaning, maybe he’s ok with storing your car a few days while you do the cleaning?