1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine warning light on after cleaning EGR

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Stevie, Dec 12, 2022.

1. Stevie

Stevie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all
    so i had a misfire/death rattle/ sounded like a lawnmower at light throttle when the ice kicks in due to low hybrid battery, googled it to find dirty injectors or egr, 1 bottle of injector cleaner no change (2012 110,000klms) removed half of egr including the black cap, cleaned and reassembled, runs better but no perfect, a week later and the engine light came on, codes for maf and egr, cleaned maf sensor, removed black cap screwed magnet all the way in and reset the engine light, still not running smooth, and engine light came back on after a week, the only other things i can think of is removing and cleaning the injectors or resetting that magnet thing when the car is stone cold, any ideas ?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As you've said the check-engine light is on, what are the trouble codes?

While you had the EGR valve apart, did you happen to check the condition of the ski jump inside that rotor?

A good one:

[​IMG]

A mashed one:

[​IMG]

Stevie likes this.
  3. Stevie

Stevie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    is that inside the black cover or inside the magnet ?
    codes were for Maf and egr

4. Stevie

Stevie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks, well it does not look the best, take a look, is this part available separately ??

Attached Files:

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You need to buy the whole thing. It’s around $200 IIRC.

There is a revised version, slightly taller IIRC. Not sure of the advantage. With it I believe you need to snip and retape conduit, and maybe should update some software (groan…). That all might be a fools mission; little or no upside.

anyway, I’d clean the whole thing, remove/clean EGR cooler and valve, and the intake manifold, with its EGR passages.

See links in my signature.

Stevie likes this.
  6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It would be a little easier to see if some more of the grease were wiped out, but yes, that does look mashed.

If so, you should not reuse that valve. It will never open enough, and will always deliver too little EGR.

7. Stevie

Stevie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Guys, thanks for all your input, is that wear and tear ? or have i overtightened it after cleaning the egr ?
    spewing if you cannot buy it separately, i'll try and build it up with super glue and baking powder, before throwing a whole one on.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wear and tear. You probably couldn't do that by yourself, reassembling the valve, unless you heated up the rotor in an oven first and then cranked it down really hard. :)

Superglue and baking powder would be another new experimental fix. Ozmatt just used a hot butter knife and kind of reshaped his. Successful at the time, but I guess we haven't checked in lately to see how it has held up.

Stevie likes this.
  9. Stevie

Stevie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    does anyone know if the "ski slope" is used as a slope or is the end of it used as a "stop" ?

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The end of it is used as a stop.