1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine water pump question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tryon40, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Tryon40

Tryon40 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My local Toyota dealer says my 2006 Prius with 95,000 miles needs a new engine water pump, citing a pattern of slight spray on the passenger side interior of the hood (the hybrid system water pump was previously replaced under the service campaign). Has anyone had this replaced or been told by your dealer that replacement of it is needed? Does anyone have any suggestions about how legit this recommendation might be?

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Tell tale signs of engine water pump failure are exactly as you describe with the addition of loss of coolant from the rad. The pump is know different to most other cars and after market pumps seem to be as good as OEM at around $35 £25. The only thing is the coolant used is Toyota SLLC (supper long life coolant).

Sorry forgetting my manners welcome to PC.

John.

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2007 that I bought used with 102k miles on it... Service records indicate that the problem your car has was the only problem my car ever had. I've also talked to Prius owners in passing who said they were told of this "slight spray" problem and elected not to repair and have never had a problem... If you can get it fixed under warranty by all means! If you can't maybe DIY or just closely monitor your coolant levels and replace at the first sign that its getting worse? I'm not an expert mechanic yet, just letting you know what I've learned about this particular issue thus far.

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Tryon40 you do not say where you are from in your avatar this sometimes helps us to help you.

5. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is a common problem. Luscious Garage has a great explanation on it. By the way, do you mind sharing how much they said it would cost to repair?