1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine water temperature

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Georgerl, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Georgerl

Georgerl New Member

I have a Scangauge on my '06. What should the water temperature read when the engine is warmed up and should it stay at that temp as long as the engine is running?

I's finally cool here, 37 this morning and I've noticed the temp on a 10 mile trip ran between 170 and 175 and the engine never shut down. Inside temp was set at 70. I also notice the trip fuel economy way down, barely got 40 overall for the 10 mile trip.

Is there a thermostat that could be stuck open?

Thanks in advance.

George

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That sounds like the right temp. I can usually get into stealth once the temp has passed 150 for a few minutes. Temps will vary b/w 160-190 on most days, but I use grill blockers for both upper and lower. I also run the heater a bit cooler or leave it off...esp. for shorter trips.

Cold weather will force the ICE to run more and I don't hear anything in your post that gives me great concern.

3. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tigerman @ Jan 2 2007, 07:50 AM) [snapback]369528[/snapback]</div>
    Anything over 160 is pretty good. As to your mpg a lot depends on your trip length and how much you use the heater. Auto mode
    will use a lot of engine heat. If car is not loaded much as in slow traffic, it will cool down.

I block radiator to get min 160 if possible and keep it under 195 max. Then on a short 10 mile trip is where a block heater helps if
    you can plug in somewhere.

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Keep in mind that the cabin heater is essentially another radiator, so, in addition to the colder ouside temp cooling the engine more, the heater is cooling the engine also.

Engine will run more, engine temp won't heat up as fast, also the battery starts out colder due to the colder ambient temperature, and will be less efficient until it's warmed up, and all this will give lower mpg. Lots of '06 owners are posting this kind of observation now. The '04 and '05 owners have already been through it.

The only thing that can be done (and it's a very minor thing that probably makes only a small difference) is that with an EV switch, if you are on streets where the flow of traffic is under 34 mph, you can shut down the engine when the battery gets to green bars. But that won't work if you are going over 34 mph.