1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

engine wire exposed?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Suprius, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Suprius

Suprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey guys, I was doing normal maintenance on my car when I came across what seems like to be an exposed cooper wire. I was wondering is this normal wear and tear for a 65k mile Prius, and if this is something familiar? I don't remember it looking like that from factory, and should I perhaps wrap it with electric tape or something? I'm really not sure what caused it.

Attached Files:

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    it looks normal to me, mine is like that

3. PriusInParadise

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You have rodents! The dark smudges on the high voltage orange wire boots strongly suggest rodents have been visiting your car and leaving more than dirty foot prints. Mice or rats often gnaw on engine compartment wiring and sometimes hoses, causing extensive and expensive damage. The taped harness that runs from right to left in your photo appears to have some damage.

Feri and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'd tape the wires with 3M high temperature fiberglass electrical tape, cover the taped wires with a piece of corrugated split plastic loom and tape over that. Then, I get some PVC pipe glue and sparingly glue down the ends.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Yes, you got (or had) rats dude. I'm sure you have dark droppings everywhere else in the engine bay if you look closer. My Prius had rats poop all over the engine bay but they never gnawed on the wires thank god.

time to set up some rat traps in the garage!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I see just intact insulating tape on mine, strange the chafing with yours. That aside:

I'm guessing that exposed copper is sheathing. The conduit thickens up there, passing over the orange cables. Maybe the copper is to prevent interference, from the orange cables (assume they're high voltage) to the small diameter multiple coloured wires running through the frayed conduit. The latter look to be some sort of data/signal wires.

7. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you had the brake booster recall done I would think this would be from the guy rubbing something against it wearing the coating off, cause the brake booster is in back of the copper area. Maybe just tape it up?

8. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Besides having an unusual filthy engine due to road debris and else, it show some rodent works on your cable harness insulation.
    Clean the engine compartment and cover the chaffing with a split plastic wire loom.