1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Caug1, May 18, 2011.

1. Caug1

Caug1 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,
    I got 2010 prius3 package.
    Is it normal to feel slight bump when engine kicks in from going all electric mode to combination mode gas and electric?
    Thanks,
    C
    p.s.
    dealer put more oil then the high mark on the dip stick, a 1/4 inch higher.
    should i drain some of that?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! perfectly normal, depending on what the car is doing at the time (slowing, accelerating etc.) sometimes it is more pronounced than others. and definately drain the oil to a bit below the full mark. all the best!

3. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    When I really pay attention, I can sometimes tell that the ICE has kicked in when pulling out from a stop, but I don't usually notice the slight change in sound. A slight overfilled on the dipstick of 1/4 inch won't cause any problems, although some claim that a slight underfill improves mileage. It can be a challenge to drain a little oil, without making a mess. I would ignore the slight overfill, but others here may recommend differently.

4. Caug1

Caug1 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    cool thanks.
    i usually keep oil in the middle, dont like it at high.
    will drain some this weekend.
    C

5. Teakwood

Teakwood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ... feel slight bump when engine kicks in ... :eek:
    ... dealer put more oil then the high mark ...:jaw:
    - Oh, the humanity! :tsk:

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The bump intensity usually depends on what stage you are in. During the warm up stages prior to stage 4 (the fully warmed up stage) the bump is more noticeable. When stopping at a stop light for the first time on my morning commute the car will shut down rather roughly. After warming up it will shut down but it is no longer rough and is very smooth such that I barely notice it. I think the GenIII works the same way.

7. Bobby George

Bobby George New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can feel the jolt or bump on our 2011 Prius II every single time the ICE kicks in, regardless of speed, engine rpm, engine temp, road surface...anything. It's most annoying in city traffic when it kicks in and out during gentle driving.

Very disappointed about this.

8. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm just throwing out an idea that it's possible, just possible this slight surging is the misconception basis of unexpected acceleration complaints.

Without the expense of additional engine mounts and dampners, I don't know how to eliminate the surge sensation. Honestly, I don't think the ICE surge is even worth trying to suppress.