1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

(Engineer) A fine line between spamming & supporting?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by markderail, Jul 29, 2009.

1. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Having read a few threads + posts, that seem more like adverts and fake responses.

This takes the cake : receiving a PM here on PC for me to visit their website.

My response was less than amicable. [Edit1: I got angry about it publicly - not a good thing]

Enginer.us PHEV should simply pay for banner ads here on PC, and on PC there should be a forum dedicated to the advertisers buying banner space specifically on this site (not syndicated banners).

Like that we could post there on their wares, and have them respond, etc, build trust.

Reputation is everything on the web. This spam I received, I see as either:

a) a desperate company
    b) a greedy company

Copy of PM received:
    Please visit www.enginer.us for affordable complete PHEV conversion kit for under $2000

Jack
    PERHAPS it is not too late for them to clear things up publicly.
    AS IN FULL DISCLOSURE.

EDIT2: Jack ended up getting banned, which pretty much everyone agrees was too strong a measure, so he cannot "clear things up". This makes for a very one-sided argument. Myself included, asked Danny to allow him back.

EDIT3: Surely some reasons so many "new" people arrived on PC just to talk about this PHEV system, it's low price and a $500 price reduction in exchange for being "beta" (though beta term was never used) testers or "test pilots".

It's easy to take this one step further, that Jack asked them to be vocal about it on the Internet. However, this is pure conjecture on my part, and this view is shared by others on PC.

Advice for the new Enginer PHEV owners - quit bitching - be happy for your purchase and DOCUMENT everything online here on PC, and support will grow naturally.

Some have been doing that and have received THANKS which is the best reputation system, better than the total number of posts.

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is an area of the site for commercial interests, which seems appropriate. Spamming your mailbox does not.

3. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You know I did not want to say anything but there are an awful lot of new or first time posters getting this new battery pack. I just thought that was kind of suspicious but I could be wrong and some new people just might be really interested in it.

1 person likes this.
  4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Please forward any PMs of this nature to the site Moderators.
    - Efusco
    - Tideland Prius
    - Danny
    - TonyPSchaefer

Anyone who abuses the site's private message system will be dealt with.

5. markderail

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ya I forwarded to Danny. It sure was weird. :mod:

1. I never posted in their threads on PC :confused:
    2. I get a PM from a user with barely 10 posts on PC
    3. The user is clearly affiliated with Enginer, not someone from PC that had it done and PM'ed me about it
    4. It was just before lunch :eek:
    The point of this thread though, is that not just Enginer but any other company wanting to promote their Prius-friendly product / company.

I turned ON banners & ads for this site in my Firefox. Never saw or heard about Enginer until some of their threads popped up, with all of a sudden people posting (relatively new people) that they had it done.

It just seems like marketing gone wrong. I would have done things different, by reaching out to all the Mods of Prius websites first.
    Banners, reviews, then the inevetable "I got mine done" thread.

Oh well, Point #4 probably contributed to the overzealous part some people have already told me.

If I'm the one out of whack, I'll have Danny remove this thread.

6. markderail

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :mod: When it's too good to be true ... :mod:

Nice to know I'm not that crazy ;)

7. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Stupid totalitarian regimes... Just because i filled Tony's inbox with nonsense for three straight days, did he really have to attach his warning to a Molotov cocktail and send it to me thought my front window?

All kidding aside, the Mods have really done a great job here in responding to and taking care of inappropriate posts. Their job is also made much easier when we help them through reporting inappropriate material.

8. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    On a side note, i checked out there website out of curiosity, and found this interesting under their specs:
    Charge Time: 3 hours from any 11-VAC outlet

What if you don't have an 11-VAC outlet? In fact, i've never heard of any widespread use of 11 V for anything...

9. markderail

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: (Enginer) A fine line between spamming & supporting?

Oh boy, I am getting a big kick (as in fun) out of this.
    :rofl:

Check out Joanna's reply and my reply to the reply.

Someone else, mentions how I *wrongly* posted the exact same post in two different threads about Enginer.us. That could be against posting guidelines. Possibly?

Depending on how the next round goes :fencing:, it might just inspire me to create a new forum game in FHOPancakes. :D

Wow, a bunch of new users coming to the 'defense'.

10. markderail

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Perhaps uses 230 amps, and requires wires of gage 2 - a 100 pound extension cord...

Joking aside, just another sign that something isn't right when the site has not been proof-read. Jeez, now we're helping them.

Had they asked I would have volunteered, and even translated into French for them.

11. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Granted that the PM you received was probably not appropriate and against site rules, you taking it up as your personal crusade and then spamming two Enginer threads with your tirade about it only cluttered up what were informative threads.

You should have left the moderation to the moderators and left the threads on topic.

1 person likes this.
  12. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I would like to ask that no one clutter up the boards any more than necessary. Please forward any inappropriate emails to all four site Moderators. Danny gets overwhelmed with PMs but we work through ours relatively quickly.

That said, we've been watching the thread that's gotten pretty large with newb posters. For the record, there's nothing wrong in terms of posting. There's no reason to take any actions from a Moderator stand-point. Questionable? yes; objectionable? not close.

The PMs, on the other hand. . .
    Please forward those to us when you get a chance.

13. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But that is 95% of my posts Tony?

Like this one for example.

14. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I didn't mean you, Pat.

Carry on.

15. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Only 95%? I must have missed the other 5%.

Tom

16. markderail

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    He he. It's the point of forums to be verbose.
    If you want a clean thread, you have to moderate it, like the politic thread.
    Plus, more drama is fun.

17. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Maybe in FHOP it is...
    I disagree. The #1 reason why people read threads is to learn. Polluting threads and going off-topic dilutes the informative content.

I guarantee that if PC started throwing in extra, off topic comments into each thread, readership would quickly decline. I know I would certainly stop visiting so frequently. I don't have time to wade through non-sense. And putting the onus on moderators to "clean up" is just being selfish. Ideally, there would be no need for moderators as the forums would be self-policing. If everyone polluted threads every time they posted, there would be no way for the moderators to keep up.
    Drama has it's place, and it's FHOP. Keep it out of the other forums, please.

1 person likes this.
  18. markderail

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FWIW, Danny The Mod (tm) used his Magic Eraser to make the banter go away, not related to those threads.

This thread remains though, and let it serve well for others on both sides.

Thus the drama remains here on FHOP where it belongs.

Now off to invent Eight Words...

19. plugmein2

plugmein2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you drees,

Acording to the Enginer Rep., Markderail had inquired about the PHEV system. He had PM'd Markderail only. After that, Markderail spammed two other Enginer threads without letting the moderators handle it. Then he complained to the Moderators about Enginer's PM when he was the only one who had recieved it. Prius Chat banned the Enginer rep before he could even defend himself.

Blindsided, now the Enginer Rep has been banned by a controlling, oversealous poster on prius chat who has nothing better to do than put out "the most boring thread" on prius chat when there are more informative discussions going on than putting up book shelves and taking threads off topic. (over 1400 posts on PC...get a life!!)

Some of us are thinking about putting together a petition to lift the ban and, once again, let the Enginer rep answer questions concerning his product. :)

JOANNA

4 people like this.
  20. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the user was banned for just one PM to one person then yes lift the ban but with a warning. If the user spammed multiple people then the ban should stay or at least stay for a while. Everyone deserves a second chance.

I'm just sitting back and watching the progress of this new battery. I'm still on the fence on weather this is all just a marketing hype. I say that because.....

1. New PHEV kit on the market with no real world data
    2. To good to be true price.
    3. There are a lot of new posters getting in on this battery. Which brings up a red flag for me.

I really hope this new battery is successful and works well but for now the only battery I can recommend is the Hymotion. And that's only because it is a proven technology, great track record, crash tested, has built in safety disconnects, 3 year warranty, and for the price cant be beat.