1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Enginer 2kw batteries on ebay

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by kammssss, Jul 6, 2011.

1. kammssss

kammssss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey Everyone,

As I mentioned before on my "R.I.P. 2kw" thread, I have finally put my 2kw kit on ebay. The auction is really for the batteries. Here is my description on ebay:

Up for auction are my 2kw Enginer batteries. It has approximately 183 charges on it. I was one of the earlier adopters of this kit. It was great when it worked. The company has given up hope on me because I ran up their bill (3 converters, fans, 2 sets of balancers, and I need a new charger).
    The batteries seem to be the only thing that is dependable. I’ve been maintaining the batteries with a battery maintainer, which is the little black box you see there. The batteries, measured with a multimeter, read: Set 1. 13.3v, Set 2. 13.4v, Set 3. 13.2v, and Set 4. 13.3v. Batteries seem to be the same as new. By the way, the batteries are disassembled in sets of 4, so I can use a battery charger/maintainer to keep them from discharging. The charger that came with the kit is dead, which was the final straw for me. I think the voltage of the sets of batteries can be higher if I had a more powerful 12v charger, but I am not going to buy one because I have spent countless hours with this kit. The voltage of the batteries indicate that the individual cells are still ticking, theoretically speaking.
    Remember, this auction is really for the batteries, but you can pretty much have the whole kit, which is what you see in the picture—minus the battery maintainer. I can’t say with certainty what other components still work. And I will not spend anymore time troubleshooting it. Like I said, the only thing that looks promising are the batteries. The charger is 100% dead. The balancers are questionable; they appear to work the last time I was able to use the kit as a whole. The converter is questionable, too. It worked during the spring when I was able to charge the batteries with my battery maintainer, which took many days to do. This converter was tweaked by the company to charge on the high side; it kicked butt.
    Again, this auction are really for the batteries. If you need parts to revive this kit, you may contact the company. The company is really cool, until you cost them more than they made off you. This auction is for PICK-UP ONLY. The batteries are too heavy to ship, which will end up costing me. I may deliver for a fee if you are in the Los Angeles County. Please contact me for that option. Last, THERE IS NO WARRANTY FOR THIS ITEM. My lost, 2k, is really your gain. Thank you for viewing. Good luck.

Please type in, "2kw Enginer Batteries Plugin Prius," to find it. Item number is: 270778272694

Thanks Everyone.

1 person likes this.
  2. lopezjm2001

lopezjm2001 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi kaamms,

When did you buy your kit? I am in the same boat after only about six months of usage of my 4kwh RFE Enginer kit. Good to see someone coming out of the Enginer Forum(closet). Did you manage to use up the whole 2 year warranty? Enginer is good when it comes to warranty so I would be surprised if you were not covered for the entire warranty period.

I am tempted to bid but the distance to Australia is too far for a delivery.

Good luck with your sale :rip:

3. banshee08

banshee08 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is your DC converter working and what voltage is it set at?? If you had the Mottocell batteries I would be interested in the entire kit...but I am interested in your dc-dc converter.

4. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Am I reading right?, it's only CA pick-up?

5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You may want to mention that you have Thundersky batteries.
    There are many people who are interested in those.

6. kammssss

kammssss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks everyone,

1. I got this kit almost 2 years ago, probably the first 10 people. Enginer has been good with warranty issue until you end-up costing them more than they have made off you.

2. Yes, it is only for pick-up. They're way too expensive to ship...sorry Mr. Bigh.

TTYL.

1 person likes this.
  7. kammssss

kammssss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey Boss,

I think the DC converter was set up to 240v; it appears he wrote it on the converter with a Sharpie. I'll tell you one thing, this converter was like my first one: it kicked butt. I don't have the Mottocell batteries...sorry.

8. banshee08

banshee08 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Would you sell the converter alone?

9. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Like I said in the other thread, I am interested in the batteries for experimentation so I'll keep an eye on it...

10. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What are you maintaining the batteries with? I can't make out what that black box is. Please tell me it is not a trickle charger and it is some sort of CCCV thing...

11. kammssss

kammssss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey Boss,

I can't sell you the converter because I mentioned that it would go with the batteries when sold. Now, if someone wins the auction, and has no interest in the converter, I will let you know. BTW, the Sharpie marking is actually 245V. This converter was working during the spring; it really charged the HV batteries. I had to always shut it down before it got to 80 percent. And then the charger died. The trickle charger cannot charge these batteries enough so that I may use the kit again. And Jack from Enginer isn't sending me another one. But if I had to bet money that it was still working, I would. I babied this one, that's why you don't see the original metal box. I just put the kit on top of the cover so it would ventilate easier. Ttyl.

12. kammssss

kammssss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey Boss,

I had no choice. It is a trickle charger. Jack told me to use a car charger to see if the batteries were still okay. It appears to still be okay. Ttyl.

13. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would disconnect them from the trickle charger before anymore damage is done. Whoever told you to do that is a fool. Lithium batteries (polymers are the worst, but LiFePO4 are bad as well) have explosive reactions to overcharging. Trickle chargers will overcharge the batteries and reduce life unless it is matched very precisely to the rolloff voltage of the stack they have. And there is no combination of LiFePO4 cells that will equal a happy lead acid trickle voltage.

14. kammssss

kammssss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I only really use it to see if the batteries were still okay. I didn't leave it on all night, just enough so that the batteries wouldn't discharge. Jack, Enginer's head guy, told me to use some sort of 12v charger to charger the batteries when my original charger died. I don't it was a long term solution, just to see if the batteries or the charger was dead. In my case, the charger was at fault and not the batteries. TTYL.

15. MrGiff

MrGiff New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Still have the whole kit? Where in Ca.?
    Thanks

16. MrGiff

MrGiff New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Found it on Ebay,,,, missed the boat

17. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Did the sale go well, all good and gone? Or is it still out there?

18. kammssss

kammssss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey Everyone,

Thanks for your interest, but it was sold for $400. The deal has been completed. I hope the guy has more luck than me; it was an excellent deal for those who were on the fence. TTYL.