1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Enginer 5kW Kit (SF Bay Area)

Discussion in 'Private Sales' started by JonnyD, Sep 10, 2010.

1. JonnyD

JonnyD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's a custom Enginer 5kW set.

It's basically an Enginer DIY kit with the following modification.

16 100Ah Thundersky LiPO4 Batteries (Brand New)
    1 (spare) 100Ah Thundersky LiPO4 Battery (Brand New)
    1kW AC/DC Charger
    - charge the pack in 4-6 hrs
    2x Cellog 8S

This is what my Enginer DIY kit composed of
    Battery Enclosure
    2x 3kW 48V-240 DC Inverters (blown)
    2x 100A switch
    2x 8 channel ballancer
    Mounting bracket for inverters in spare tire.

The inverters are still under warranty awaiting Jack (Enginer) to replace.
    Jack quoted me $100 upgrade cost to go to the 5kW converter if you like.

Sorry no shipping, only available for pickup in SF Bay Area.
    Total price for the package is $2000 (FIRM)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    r u selling it? no comprende.:confused:

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Why are you selling it?

4. JonnyD

JonnyD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, I'm selling it.
    As for Y? PHEV doesn't fit my driving style.
    I got too much highway for it to help.

5. Octane

Octane Proud Member of 100 MPG Club

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Jonny, actually you'd be surprised. I've really worked on this highway issue. I'm on a 5kW converter though.

Here's the deal to effective suplemental highway use:

0. A ScanGauge II or equivalent device is mandatory for assessing the following points.
    1. SOC of Prius battery must be at 67.5% or better.
    2. The DC converters need to be demonstratively providing appx. 14 amps to the power grid.
    3. Steady state operation presumably supported by cruise control is mandatory.
    4. Having a reading of the HP output of the engine is hugely benefitial.

If these points are met, after about 3 minutes of steady state driving and your scan gauge indicating -11 amps or so, you will notice the Toyota BMS slowly trim down the current reading to fluctuate around zero and you will notice the HP reading (indicative of gas engine use) down by 30 to 40%.

Nominally, to hold 60 MPH and no electric motor assist, I need about 19 HP. This provides about 50 MPG. When the Enginer system is working as described, the HP trims down to about 13 horse, and the FE bumps up to 72-ish MPG. Without doing the actual calculation, but looking at the mix of driving modes in my commute, the Enginer PHEV can provide 14 amps output for about 40 minutes of driving.

So, if all those conditions can be met, I'd strongly consider getting your system fixed under warranty and giving it another go.

They are really coming a long way with the reliability and utility of the system. In fact, Enginer is in the process of moving away from the Mottcell's to 1 or 2 integrated prismatic battery packages depending on 2 or 4 kWh system configuration.

6. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Octane,

It sounds to me that all you -really- need to do is drive a steady speed and let the Enginer kit and Prius do their thing. Having a scangauge to watch is probably nice, but point 1 will happen on it's own (Prius likes to be above 65%), point 2 you can't control, 3 you just drive steady state and again 4, you can't control just observe.

I agree that it's the -right- thing to do any you can back that up with your observations, but once you know what to do observing all that data doesn't help. unless i'm wrong and there's something you can do about 2 and 4?

7. Octane

Octane Proud Member of 100 MPG Club

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, you can control (1) based on how you drive and when you fire the ICE versus using forced EV mode and how much dwell time you allow in your driveway or at lights, etc,. Also, I adjust my speed while in EV mode to show a slight charge of the HV battery. You need to monitor the power grid current.

The Enginer will overcharge under certain conditions. While you can use the bar graph to assess this, you know it's happening a lot faster with the numeric SOC value from the SGII.

Unfortunately (2) is not controlled all that well by the Enginer. The output current tends to move around all over the place based on ambient temperature and other parameters I haven't identified. For example, it gets into a low current "loop" that you can identify on the SGII and reset it by bumping the power switch. So, you do need to watch (2) and correct it if you aren't getting the power that you should.

3 and 4 correct.

I think I said seeing the current is mandatory and a numeric value of SOC is mandatory. HP is a nicety.

Also, without the power push from the PHEV the Toyota BMS zeros in on 62.5% SOC at steady state driving. With the PHEV it zeros on 67.5%. (My 2G, YMMV.)