1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

English Teacher Twists OEM Stiffening Plate w/ Bare Hands, Installs BT Stiffening Plate...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Free One, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Free One

Free One New Member

After reading all the arguments in this forum I decided to try installing the BT Stiffening Plate, since it seemed logical that a truly stiff member of the car's body (so to speak... B) ) would improve handling.

I've only got 1200 miles on my Prius, but after a week of wrestling with the car in crosswinds as I drove up I-5 I decided it would be worth a shot.

Anyhow, I jacked up the car this morning and unbolted the old one. Just for jollies, I tried twisting it with my hands. Now, I'm not the strongest guy, but I could definitely torque it back and forth enough to see a visible twist. It wasn't much, but if I could twist it that much with my hands, I wondered how much use it would be going around a fast corner or coming down our potholed hills around here. Not much, it seemed to me.

I didn't even try doing that with the BT plate. Are you kidding? I just bolted in on and torqued it to the right amount.

After doing this little experiment, it seemed immediately obvious that a really rigid plate would be a huge improvement over the OEM one. I can't imagine why people even argue about it.

I'll report back after the next day of crosswinds though to say how it worked in real driving.

P

2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Enjoy your plate purchase! I look forward to your followup of the driving experience! I'm sure there will be a few more reviews on the plate now that there's currently a sale on them.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Free One @ Apr 21 2007, 12:57 PM) [snapback]427354[/snapback]</div>
    Every guy should have a stiff member. B)

4. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thank you for your purchase of our BT Tech stiffening plate!! Please report back your impressions once you have a chance to evaluate it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Free One @ Apr 21 2007, 01:57 PM) [snapback]427354[/snapback]</div>

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Free One @ Apr 21 2007, 01:57 PM) [snapback]427354[/snapback]</div>
    A quick look at the OEM stiffening plate and how it mounts will tell you it wasn't designed to resist torsion. The stiffening plate serves as a tie member to hold the sides of the center channel together, which produces a tensile load. Try pulling the OEM stiffening plate and see how that goes; you will find it is plenty strong in that mode. The affected portion of the underbody is not heavily loaded in torsion. Even if it were, a heavier plate would not help with the existing OEM mounting holes. You would need a larger flange and contact area to transfer a torsion load.

Tom

6. Free One

Free One New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Apr 21 2007, 08:31 PM) [snapback]427598[/snapback]</div>
    That sounds logical. I'm surprised that this is the first time I've read this particular analysis after reading a number of posts. It might have made me reconsider. It makes me wonder what kind of forces would pull the center channel apart - it makes the body sound kind of flimsy!

I'm also curious about the number of people who report significant improvement in cross-wind handling and on cornering after installing the BT plate - what other kinds of forces could account for it?

Could there be a front-to-back shifting stress (the two sides moving forward or backward in relationship to each other) under the stress of cornering or dealing with side-winds that might account for the reported benefits of it? Or an up-and-down one? Perhaps it's not just torsional stress that's a problem, and the heavier BT plate lessens it, even if Toyota thought that they only needed to be concerned about expansion or contraction of the center channel.

I suppose what's needed is some objective performance data, rather than the static tests and theory-based discussions we've been having in the forum.

Anyone have some connections at Car and Driver who could get them to do a before-and-after skidpad test to see if the "g" number changes? Or would even that be an appropriate or objective test?

I'll see how my cross-wind commute is affected, since that's the main test that matters to me!

The debate continues...
    P

7. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Apr 21 2007, 08:05 PM) [snapback]427585[/snapback]</div>
    What do you think is cheaper? Buy the BTTech Plate for the sale price $145? Or get some little blue pills for the factory plate?

8. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    $145...does that include shipped? If it does then this product has my interest.

9. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Apr 21 2007, 09:11 PM) [snapback]427631[/snapback]</div>
    Well, blue pills per pill are a lot cheaper, but if you have to give it another everyday. Forget it.

Dave M.

10. AJMasterson

AJMasterson New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Apr 22 2007, 01:40 AM) [snapback]427693[/snapback]</div>
    I just ordered one last night and it did include shipping.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Apr 21 2007, 01:36 PM) [snapback]427403[/snapback]</div>
    no pun intended? :lol:

12. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Apr 22 2007, 12:40 AM) [snapback]427693[/snapback]</div>
    I agree it's a stiff price shipping should be included, I too then would have interest in getting one