1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engraving Smart Key to get it returned

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Middleway, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Middleway

Middleway New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since the Smart Key (SKS) is sooooo expensive to replace, decided that engraving it with contact information would be "smart". They are plastic, so any sharp tool will easily scratch info into it. I put my cell phone number on it. Don't give or put a home address, as someone might then steal the car, but cell phones aren't easily connected to a home address and could result in a fast return of the key. Even a DL# or License# can lead to a home address, for a small fee.

Anyone have suggestions, info or comments (i.e. $50 reward, etc)?
    There are some "key return" companies in which you attach one of their tags with a unique ID on the key.

2. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Tough to lose, given that I only take it out of my pocket at home.

TC400, car78412 and dmvp like this.
  3. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    How about registering for a Google Voice phone number that can take voice mail and send it to almost any account and it will forward phone calls to any phone number you choose. I think it would take a hack on Google to get your personal information from the phone number, so it is safe (I think).

I am just going to focus on not loosing my SKS FOB, but now I may put my Google Voice (virtual) phone number on my FOB to give myself another chance after loosing a SKS FOB.

4. Salvage09

Salvage09 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Most of the supermarket/drugstore/public library scan tags have some provision for returning your keys to you if found. 'Drop in any mailbox', etc.