1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

enough with the Bridgestone Turanza EL400

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by prius123, Apr 13, 2011.

1. prius123

prius123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    so i put the summer tires back on. Seems to average having flats then bringing them to the tire shop to plug them about 5 times and sometimes they can't fix them so the average for having to buy new ones is about 3 tires per summer. Its not that the tires are getting worn out, its that there's no tread thickness so they just get flats all the time from objects. Last fall they said the plug wouldnt hold but i didnt have to add air till i got the winter tires. Changing them, 3 were ok but one was low and it held the air for a couple days. So i bring it in, i'm there, do they have any other kinds. He's checking, says.. oh that 16 inch is an oddball size. I'm tell him, there's got to be something else like an all season, because these low rolling resistance tires suck, bad.

Like last night i was at this 7/11 and pull up, a cabbie sitting there waiting for calls and i look at his tires as i'm getting out and wow i thought mine were bald. They just come like that new though but his were worn bad. I get to the other side, he's got the lousy yellow spare on. hahaha.. that other one's about to go real soon and he's gonna be screwed.

But yeah.. so back to the tire store.. i ask.. what else ya got in that oddball size.. he says.. oh not that much. There's a hankook h105 ventus v4 es. i say, well, lets try that. When i get called in that the tire's ready i was thinking, wow that's much better, thicker normal type tread but it still kinda seems smooth like it'd roll ok. Those winter tires were pretty bad with the rolling but thats mainly the studs. So i got the tire and paid 175.. i think those lousy turanza's were 217. Can't wait till those other ones go flat so i can phase them out.

I noticed going around with the summer tires compared to the winter ones, the gas goes down pretty much the same. Although i stop at a bunch of places during the night so maybe if you were coasting more or who knows what, maybe on the highway it'd make a difference.. but for what i'm doing, I will NOT miss those FAIL turanza's. What a HASSLE.. I was looking at them and they're still really new cause i kept having to buy new ones because of the ongoing flats, not because they were worn out. And then i'm picturing how thick the treads are, they're about 3-4milimeter, new. These other ones are about 1 centimeter... thats like 10 milimeters. Betcha i'll get less flats.

Anybody else have problems with lotsa flats on these terrible tires? FAIL. hahaha. Low rolling resistance is lovely and all but talk about causing a lot of problems. All winter i didnt get one flat.

2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's a lot of flats. Can you tell us what type of objects are usually penetrating to cause the punctures? I mean is it usually something that stays stuck in the tire or is it usually an unknown object.

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If there's no tread depth, then the tires are worn out. Racing slicks, especially thin ones, aren't going to do you any good at all. Sharp gravel or even a few good-sized mosquitos (hey, you said Winnipeg, right?) could leave you stranded.

Did I read correctly that you've got different brands of tires on different wheels? That's not such a good idea.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LRR construction/design has nothing to do with you getting flats. You just drive in trashy areas. lol

Blame the commute not the tire...

5. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Grrr, I just had two flats (slow leaks) fixed about a week ago due to nails stuck through them. [​IMG]

I haven't had that happen for ages and then all of a sudden two in one week. It made me wonder if I might have had a Prius hating neighbor or someone doing it, but the tire repair guy said they probably just fell out of a truck or something and when I ran over them and a few "flicked" up.

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Happened to me with my Nokian i3s. I loved those tires but I got two screws in then in a short period of time and one went into the shoulder of the tire and made it unrepairable. Grrr I live in an area with a high development rate so there are always contractor trucks driving around with stuff dropping onto the road.

7. prius123

prius123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Last week, had a nail in one of those turanza's. Was able to plug it. This, after having to buy a new one just a couple weeks ago. Its probably from going down back alleys where they lift the trash bins.