1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ensuring road worthiness on a 08 Prius sitting for 1.5 years

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by johnnymot, Dec 4, 2014.

1. johnnymot

johnnymot New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A Prius newbie here in a most unusual way with a major question: What should I do (and have the dealer do) to make an 08 Prius that has been sitting for 1 year 8 months ready to make a 1200 mile road trip.

Here's the background and info: My girlfriend left her Prius in her Garage while we went out west to work. It's been 1 year and 8 months since we've been able to get back with the intent to drive the prius back west the 1200 miles. We arrived today, opened the garage and inspected the prius. Immediately, rodent droppings everywhere on the car.

When I lifted the hood, a mouse (or rat maybe) ran away (sort of) and there was rodent urine and droppings everywhere. Fearing the worst, I looked for nests, eaten wires etc, but could find none. The mouse did re-appear of course, but I hope it left. Other than the droppings and urine, I could find no evidence of damage. We jumped the battery and in about 10 minutes of charging, the Prius cranked and ran fine, although the 12v battery or course, still weak. I pulled the air filter, and underneath in the intake/air duct was an actual rodent nest I removed.

We aired the tires back up (all were at about 15psi, but no cracking, rot, flats etc), and drove the car and it ran fine.

The battery is still weak (I understand it's the original) so I called a parts store and have an optima yellow top on the way I'm going to install tomorrow. The drive belt and rubber hoses looked fine visually, with the only defect I see being the passenger headlight is very dim compared to the drivers. I almost consider this a small automotive miracle this thing wasn't eaten by mice, and that it jumped and cranked right up!

We plan on driving it back out west, and that being said, what would any of you have a dealer look at, do PM on, inspect etc, to prepare this 77k mile Prius for the 1200 mile trip after sitting 1.8 years unmoved, and uncranked/driven?

Some of my thoughts as an absolute Prius newbie are:

Change transaxle fluid?
    Flush coolant and replace radiator hoses?
    Oil change.
    Basic safey inspection and any 70K (or the closest range) PM due?

I'm still amazed the car cranked and drove fine today ( I did put about 5 gallons of "new" gas in the tank), and didn't exhibit any problems......Cleaning the mouse droppings and urine off of the engine top, is another matter however. The smell of burning mouse urine on an engine is not a pleasant one!

BobbyBraxton likes this.
  2. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I would say the battery and oil change are the only things that need to be done now if everything else looks good. When are you making the trip? I would try to put at least a couple hundred miles on it before the trip to make sure everything is in working order.

BobbyBraxton and dorunron like this.
  3. johnnymot

johnnymot New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have some incremental driving planned along those lines. We put about 10 miles on it today with me following closely in a second car. Tomorrow after the optima battery install I want to get it up to interstate speeds. From there the drive to the dealer is another 80 miles. My major paranoia lies in the drive belt, if all else is well as appears. I would say there would be about 150 miles "test" on her before the big 2 day, 1200 mile run back to utah.

BobbyBraxton likes this.
  4. stonerider

stonerider Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's an incredible story. I can't believe it. After 18 months, the HV battery will not have any charge left and even have any capacity to charge anymore. The more I think about it, the more skeptical I am becoming.

BobbyBraxton likes this.
  5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't think it is necessary to replace the radiator hoses unless they show signs of damage. However all of the fluid changes you specified would be appropriate.

In addition the four tires should be carefully examined and if there is any doubt about their condition or tread depth then replace the tires now, prior to your road trip. The tires should have a minimum of 6/32" depth to deal with snowy conditions. Further, you don't need a high-speed blowout.

It wouldn't surprise me that the traction battery is functional after almost 2 years of non-use.

Make sure that you fully-charge the new 12V battery prior to installation.

If one headlight remains dim compared to the other, then check the fuse for that headlight to see if there is corrosion within the socket. That issue needs to be resolved prior to your road trip. The headlight may need to be replaced if the fuse and associated wiring is good.

dorunron likes this.
  6. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes to the transaxle fluid and engine oil.
    After so much storage, you need to inspect and probably replace brake pads and rotors. Probably all rusted up and unsafe. Slider pins need to be greased.
    Also, consider new air filter and cabin filter.

This story sounds like a miracle. I would still inspect the wiring closely for rodent damage. You don't want this thing go up in flames and take your house with it.

7. BobbyBraxton

BobbyBraxton Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Our 2005 is almost ten years in our possession (original owners).
    Today we are having the trans-axle - leaking; also brake pads and rotors (front)
    and proper adjustment (rear) - drain and replace fluids and so forth
    (this after "maint. req." complete and rectified LOW beam Left headlight.

8. BobbyBraxton

BobbyBraxton Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    this story is amazing!

9. johnnymot

johnnymot New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's amazing to me given my previous experience with rodents doing significant damage in a matter of weeks, versus years and months with the "warrior Prius" as I've named it, and a lack of damage, despite so much evidence of them and sighting one. We did have some mouse bait in the garage it sat in, but I'm sure it ran out long ago.

We've put about 40 miles on the car so far, and so far so good. Tires were virtually new and show no signs of dry rot, cracks etc.......They all had about 15psi in them. The optima yellow top went in with little trouble using a guide here, and the hybrid/traction battery had a charge and is keeping such and functioning regularly.

We are taking it to the dealer Monday for an inspection, and the oil and transaxle fluid change, and yes, although I left them out initially, an air and cabin filter are on the list. The brakes actually look good, with some rust on the PS pully (I think it's the ps pump) but it's minor.

We have about a week before the big test of the 1200 mile trip, but every mile locally we put on it, the more confident I am from my experience anyway. Still amazed overall......Espeically given a chevy avalanche that sat similarly will not crank, at all and the prius fired right up after jumping.

10. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good luck!
    But keep an eye out for the corrosive effects of the mouse urine as that certainly affects aircraft with their aluminum bodies. In non-electric older cars I would pressure wash the engine compartment, but I would not do that with a Prius due to all the high voltage electrical connections and solid state stuff up front.
    Have a safe journey.

11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since you found a rodent nest under the air filter, I suggest you use a shopvac, applying suction to the air inlet pipe that feeds the air filter housing. Then apply the outlet of the shopvac to that pipe, to blow it out. The idea is to get rid of any debris that remains within the air inlet system prior to the filter.

12. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have pressure washed at least 200 Prius engine compartments and never had a problem. You don't have to soak it down just spray it out and it should be fine.

13. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This doesn't prove it can't happen. It can actually happen in your 201st prius and cost you $5000.
    Once my teenager cousin washed engine in his lowly FIAT. He had to pay for tow and new ECU.

14. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would much rather wash out the mouse droppings and urine, vs. leaving that nastiness in the engine compartment. 2G Prius has no ECUs in the engine compartment (3G Prius has the engine ECU sitting there with not much protection for the wiring harness, which I personally don't like seeing). The high voltage orange cables are well-protected.

As TampaPrius indicated, use some reason and judgment when doing this. There is no need to flood the engine valve cover with water, where the spark plug wells are susceptible to water entry. That might cause misfire. If that happens, remove and dry the spark igniters, blow out the spark plug wells with compressed air, and reassemble. Not the end of the world.

15. johnnymot

johnnymot New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did end up using a carwash sprayer (not pulling the trigger and using the light mist it emits) to strategically wash the engine bay and surrounding area. Absolute "nastiness" as patrick Wong mentioned and it was the best way. Very careful aiming and it seemed to work well.

I also changed the air filter (cleaned/vacuumed underneath on the air snorkel side) and changed the cabin air filter. Much filth and urine behind and in the cabin filter too! The new filter and febreeze negated the smell, but you can still see filth on the air inlet door and in the cowel inlet at the base of the windshield passenger side too. I'm still amazed they used the prius as an outhouse, but yet ate nothing. Luckily no incursion into the under hood fuse/junction box took place either. On the Avalanche I mentioned earlier that sat similarly they seriously damaged the under hood fuse box with urine. I gave up on resurrecting it and it now sits in the hallowed space (via grunting, pushing and gravity)the Prius occupied, at least garaged, and well mothballed, saved for another time, as no such "10 minute revival miracle" the Prius pulled off.

We made the 80 mile run today smoothly and the Prius is at the dealer ready to roll in tomorrow morning for 10k service and inspection for the 1200 mile utah journey a week from now. Basically right now though it runs and all systems functions like it sat overnight, not 1.8 years! I'll have to post some pics soon.

#15 johnnymot, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  16. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It might help if you remove the windshield wiper arms, then remove the two-piece black plastic cowl cover under the arms. There is a plastic fastener at the end of the plastic cover (near the fender) and you have to remove the rubber seal that runs along the edge of the cover.

That would allow you to clean out the metal cowl tray that runs the length of the firewall and inspect the passenger cabin air inlet. My guess is you'll find that tray is also very nasty.

17. johnnymot

johnnymot New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to update. The Prius cruised cross country across I40 through all of the 18 wheelers trying to run us over (serious issues with these guys wielding there rigs like a cruise missile against motorists) and now sits in flagstaff AZ, for an IPA. It has done great and about 300 more miles to complete its last leg.

Robert Holt likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! all the best.(y) (truckers are the worst)