1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

entering phone numbers, even using blue tooth

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by calpal, Feb 25, 2005.

1. calpal

calpal New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I don't know how to enter telephone numbers even individually, let alone having them all automatically entered at once by blue tooth as it's supposed to be able to do. Anyone?

2. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If you mean manually, without bluetooth, there doesn't seem to be a way to enter phone numbers in either the phonebook or the one-touch settings. You have to transfer via bluetooth from a notebook or phone, and then associate individual phone numbers with individual one-touch numbers. Seems incredibly braindead to me, if true.

For bluetooth, there is a "Transfer Phone Data" command in the telephone settings. The bluetooth phone stuff is explained (badly) towards the back of the navigation manual. After initiating transfer, the car prompts you to send data. How you initiate transfer from the phone obviously depends on each phone. On the Treo 650, its very easy, since there's a send command in the Contacts program for either an individual contact or an entire "category", such as your entire address book.

However, the car hates parentheticals or spaces in the phone numbers, and gets confused if there's more than one phone number. In my case, I created a bluetooth category with a couple of dozen special formatted one number only contacts, and then transferred the whole category. The phone finishes first, and then eventually, the car will go back to the main settings menu. At that point, you can go into the separate one-touch setup screens.

Can you tell I just got a new phone this week?! :wink:

3. tag

tag Senior Member

calpal,

It would definitely help if you posted the manufacturer and model of your Bluetooth phone.

4. tag

tag Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ggood\";p=\"67302)</div>
    My sentiments exactly. It would certainly be great if one could enter the names and numbers manually, like a PDA, without regard to Bluetooth. I realize the functionality wouldn't be the same without a BT phone but at least those contacts would be in there for reference.

Of course, with a BT phone, it's possible to assign numbers to one-touch without transferring the phonebook. For example, after dialing a number, the number will appear as an outgoing call. From there, it's a simple matter of assigning that number to a one-touch slot.

5. sdgeiger

sdgeiger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's another question that I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned:

Even if I have my entire phonebook entered into the Prius, how do I dial outgoing calls while driving?

From my experience, the Prius doesn't allow you to access the phonebook until you've come to a complete stop.

6. tag

tag Senior Member

Enter as many as you can in one-touch and make sure you have a good memory. :)

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ggood\";p=\"67302)</div>
    I was able to save numbers from the outgoing and incoming call logs to the one-touch list.

8. sdgeiger

sdgeiger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually I tried it again tonight, and I was able to dial from my phone. There was a long delay before I could actually hear the call over the speaker, but it worked.

9. raf

raf Junior Member

Has anyone come up with a way to get pauses into a phone number? My Motorola V551 uses p for a pause. The Prius drops everything after the first p.

Also, I tried the procedure for transfering the whole phone book using the phone and a laptop with a Bluetooth adapter. The Prius and the laptop saw each other, but Outlook would not transfer anything. The Prius just didn't show up as a destination in Outlook. I was using the Bluetooth adapter that comes with Motorola mobile PhoneTools.

10. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    you could always dial from your phone and then press [send]. the prius won't switch/answer untill it hears something or someone. That usualy ends up in a second or so delay after "hello". I don't mind this when calling 411 or other services because they usualy have an into. Bad idea when calling an actual person though.

I would go with the "one touch" idea. That's... 18? numbers. Should be plenty. I've also been known to tap out a phone number real quick at stoplights. :)

11. raf

raf Junior Member

You can't enter phone numbers into the directory without using a Bluetooth phone. The one exception is that the numbers only of an incoming and outgoing calls appear in the logs and can apparently be moved to a one-touch position. I've never done this myself, but I've seen mention of it here.

With a Motorola V551 phone, one phonebook entry at a time can be transferred with the following procedure:

On the phone, navigate to the directory entry you want to transfer.

On the Prius, press Info, then Telephone, then Settings, then the down arrow to move to the second page. Then press Transfer Phonebook, then Add (unless you want to replace the entire phonebook). The Prius will break the Bluetooth connection to the phone and start looking for a Bluetooth connection for file transfer.

On the phone, press Menu, Tools, Connection, Bluetooth, Setup, and Findme. The phone will say that the entry has been transferred and the regular Bluetooth connection will be restored.

You can transfer another entry by using the up or dow arrows on the phone to move to it and following the procedure above. You can also jump to the first entry starting with a letter of the alphabet by using the keypad in the same way you do to enter letters of the alphabet.

12. Rick Kaiser

Rick Kaiser Junior Member

I specifically bought two Motorola V551s through the Toyota Bluetooth vendor link to make sure I had compatible phones. The phone works, but it's proven impossible to transfer the address book. I've tried this on multiple occasions. I spent an hour last night, carefully going step by step through the process. The Prius monitor showed that the phone number was being transferred, so I patiently transferred about 50 numbers one at a time. When I finished, I checked both address books. Neither had a single entry.
    The 2005 Prius Bluetooth system needs a simple software fix, or a wiring adapter that will plug into the Prius electronics for the purpose of tapping in phone numbers. The problem is figuring out which company to pin down for a solution

13. raf

raf Junior Member

I've sucessfully transferred over a hundred phonebook entries to the Prius one a a time via Bluetooth from my Motorola V551. So things to look out for are that the Prius doesn't allow multiple phone numbers for one entry, doesn't allow multiple entries with the same name, and truncates names to a rather short length.

14. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Kaiser\";p=\"70742)</div>
    Rick,
    It happened to me once when I tried initially. I was confused. Then, I tried "Overwrite" instead of "Add" for the first contact tranfer, and use "Add" for subsequent ones. And, it worked. I was puzzled. May be you can give it a try. Many have successfully transfered phone contacts through V551s.

15. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    lol.. i was just gonna warn about the "overwrite" button :( it's a very very sad button. I still haven't re filled the address book. lol

16. Rick Kaiser

Rick Kaiser Junior Member

Re: entering phone numbers Motorola V551

I managed to solve the problem. The is an earlier posting that gets you 90% of the way through the procedure. On the Prius, go to Info, Telephone, Settings, Phone Book 1 or 2, Transfer. Then wait to push Add until you've set up the V551.
    With the V551, I'll assume the Bluetooth is active and recognized by the Navigation system. From the Menu button find the Address Book. Select an entry, and hit the Menu button. Scroll up with the [/Up Arrow] key to Send. If you hit Send, the phone may indicate that Bluetooth is Off and ask if you want to Power On? Select, find Bluetooth Hands Free, select, and Connect.
    Finally, on the Prius Screen, hit the Add key and that entry will transfer. You'll see a bar on the V551 as it locates the Prius Bluetooth and transfers, and a brief flicker on the Prius screen. If V551 indicates that the Bluetooth connection is broken when you start the transfer, just hit the center scroll button again and the connection will re-establish.
    Once the first address transfers, return to the Prius Telephone screen and hit Transfer again, and then repeat with the next address in your V551 phonebook.
    Sounds terribly complicated, but by the time you complete the second entry, you'll know the sequence of the Prius screen and the phone menus. The next 50 entries took less than 10 minutes to complete.

17. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There will be a way to enter phone numbers once we have Costal Dave's Nav mod. The work around goes like this create a location name it, enter the phone number then use the call function from the Nav screen. If you are driving hit mark and add the phone number and then call. Not clean but I have only 4 or 5 places I have to have access to from the car. Yes I can dial the phone but even with one touch my eyes will be off the road much longer dialing those tiny buttons that I would using the Nav screen. I have created locations for each of these and put in the phone number so I can get to them from the destination screen. Now all I need it the Nav mod!

18. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    lol, I assumed everyone knew that 'Overwrite' means "clean all and add". Be careful if you don't want to lose your existing contacts... Thanks for the warning others.

19. calpal

calpal New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have bluetooth and a Sprint LG325 cellphone. I gave up on entering all the numbers at once but I can't seem to enter them one at a time in 1-touch.
    Anyone know how?

20. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(calpal\";p=\"79815)</div>
    Cannot be done from the phone.

The LG PM-325 does not support OBEX (Object Exchange protocol) which is required to transfer data by Bluetooth.

Hopefully, a future firmware update will add it. The latest version (V18) which was released yesterday, still does not have the OBEX protocol (To update the phone, go to: Menu > Settings > Setup/Others > Update Phone SW).

You can manually add numbers to the One Touch list from the incoming and outgoing call log.