1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Entune and Data Usage

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by jupiter2114, Feb 22, 2012.

1. jupiter2114

jupiter2114 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I purchased a Prius V 3 days ago. I got an email to register my Entune system, then proceeeded to create a Pandora account (prior to getting my prius, I thought Pandora was merely an expensive bead store chain) ... anyway ... how does this work? I created a Pandora account on my Mac in the comfort of my home ... now what ... how does this now link to my car (via my cell phone?) if Entune only works with my smartphone (iphone4S) is it using my data from my plan? :rolleyes:

2. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The way entune works, is that you install an app on your phone, namely the Toyota Entune App (For either the iPhone or Android phone).

From there, on the entune site:

https://www.myentune.com/login.jsp

You log in and setup your account, linking your pandora account. What this will do is that when you have the app running and linked your phone to the car, it will use the Entune app to link to your accounts, in your case, your Pandora account, and make use of the phone's data access to do the app's function.

One thing to note, if you have pandora installed on your phone, don't uninstall it. (And yes, this is taking into account that this is the first time you heard of Pandora being a music account. :) )

Now I do believe, at the moment, the iPhone will require an accessory to properly work for the Entune, the USB to iPhone/iPad connector or that could be just for directly manipulating iTunes on your device more so than the streaming. You may want to check with the dealer or someone else here, since I use an Android device.

And lastly, yes, Entune works using your phone's dataplan. My suggestion is, if you don't want that, don't worry about entune running or running it. You can always run the music off your phone. The benefits of Entune is basically if you want to pull up something on your nav display or use Pandora (Which is good if you want to hear other sorts of music you would not normally hear, but falls under the same style). But all in all, Entune is more of an 'option' in my opinion.

3. prius4owner

prius4owner Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yes, Entune uses data from the cellphone plan. Instead of using app on the phone, you can use it on the nav screen..

4. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes it does use your smartphone data. For systems like this the maker has 2 choices - a stand alone service like On Star where you pay separately for the service or like Sync (and now all the other similar services like Entune) were they piggyback on your smartphone and you do not have to pay for a stand alone system.

5. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Actually, it's a double tier system... You are paying with your own data plan, and after the trial period, you will also be paying for the Entune Data Plan as well.

Point out here:

http://www.toyota.com/entune/what-is-entune/entune-account.html

6. yeziam

yeziam New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So, after the trial period, why would I pay Toyota a monthly fee for Entune if they're using my data plan? This "option" just doesn't make sense to me.

Yez

7. lolstebbo

lolstebbo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You pay Toyota a subscription fee for the data services (sports/weather/traffic/stocks/fuel prices) and for app usage (aside from Pandora). I don't understand the charge for app usage, though, since it's not like Toyota actually hosts those apps; for people with the Premium nav, the data services are through XM so they pay SiriusXM for that.

Tom Estling likes this.