1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Environment minister's notice to car makers: Get ready for regulation

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Tideland Prius, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OTTAWA (CP) - Environment Minister Rona Ambrose has summoned Canada's big car manufacturers to a meeting late Tuesday, where government and industry sources say she'll lay out plans for Canada's first stab at regulating car emissions.

The move is a major component of the Conservative government's promised environmental plan.

It marks the first time carmakers will face regulations. To date, Canada has either had a written voluntary agreement with the industry to meet emissions goals or an understanding that carmakers would follow U.S. standards.

The ultimate goal, say insiders, is to bring Canada in line with North American-wide standards after 2010, that will most likely adopt California's pioneering clean-air laws.

Full Article

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'd like to see this happen. It's really time for people to stop their pissing and moaning, role up their bloody sleeves and work the problem. There's an awful lot of money to be made but people need to get out their old mindset, embrace the change and start doing something. The benefits to society go far beyond the CO2 reductions (which, granted, are a big benefit).

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It never occurred to me but I never questioned why we didn't have our own emissions standard. I just took it for granted that we follow whatever the US sets.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 4 2006, 12:03 AM) [snapback]327723[/snapback]</div>
    You are so screwed.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    oh Jonathan!!...following OUR example??? that is scary. might want to look at others for help. geographically, your country is similiar in its wide open spaces that makes effective mass transit that fits the needs of the people a huge order to fill.

i personally think even CA's current laws needs to be tightened considerably. we also need to bring back ALL vehicles (only exception i would accept would be commerical vehicles used 100% of the time for commercial purposes) back into the CAFE regulated fleet.

6. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I heard that they were considering this action about a year ago. I'm glad to see that it's finally coming to fruition. When I heard this on a radio program they said that Canada's implementation would render the auto makers compliant on their entire line as it wouldn't be cost effective to produce some vehicles in accordance with Canada's regulations and others that weren't compliant.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah well if you think about it, car manufacturers are too lazy (and maybe it has associated costs) to have a different set of standard for Canadians (other than DRLs). I mean just look at the Prius. We don't have anything that you don't (aside from DRLs and auto headlights). We aren't as sue-happy but yet we don't get the EV button or IPA (might be cost + smaller market).

And yeah, the last thing is that we're a MUCH smaller market than the States. You guys buy 400,000+ Camrys a year, I think Toyota Canada only sold 40,000 Camrys.