1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Environmentalists Gone Wild?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Danny, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    To me, this is environmentalist extremism:

FBI Says TV News Trucks Have Been Targeted by Terrorists

Television news trucks that have converged on Boston for next week's Democratic National Convention may have been targeted by domestic terrorists, the FBI said Thursday. FBI spokeswoman Laura Bosley explained, "A domestic terrorist group operates in the United States without any foreign direction." Reuters observed that one such group, the Earth Liberation Front, is known to attack vehicles. However, the environmental activist group makes a point of attacking only those it identifies as gas guzzlers, like Hummers and large SUVs, which it identifies as conspicuous symbols of environmentally harmful consumption.

2. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IMO, ELF is beyond extreme. They are a bonafide criminal terrorist group. Extremists, to me are the ones that chain themselves to equipment, live in trees to prevent them from being cut, and more notably, organizations that refuse to find common ground on controversial issues, such as Yellowstone.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I concur, Wolfman. I would classify these people as unlawful terrorists.

In my opinion:
    Being an extremist, that is, "going to extreme", requires only that one go to extraordinary degrees to promote a thought or idea considered far from center.

Being a terrorist, that is, "invoking terror" requires that you take some action that is designed to invoke fear and terror for the purpose of coercion or manipulation.

Being unlawful, that is, "intentionally breaking the law" requires that you take some action to deliberately violate city, state, or Federal laws.

Therefore, they fall into the "unlawful terrorist" category and it is correct for the FBI spokeswoman to identify them as such. While they might consider themselves harmless extremists, this is far from the truth.

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't know anything about ELF. If they really do bomb vehicles, then I agree with Wolfman. However, I do not believe anything the FBI says. They have a long and well-documented history of lying. So I won't assume that ELF has ever bombed anything merely on the word of the FBI.

Sounds like the US government to me, as well as every other country that wages war.

5. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just google for ELF and burned hummers, easy to verify, no need to break out FBI paranoia or glib political sloganeering un-necessarily.

West Covina: Fires destroyed or damaged dozens of sport utility vehicles, burned a warehouse at an auto dealership, and vehicles there and at three other dealerships were spray-painted with slogans such as "Fat, Lazy Americans." Another SUV was burned in front of a home. "With all the evidence ... it's highly likely it's an arson fire," said Rick Genovese, fire marshal for West Covina, a Los Angeles suburb. The Earth Liberation Front issued an unsigned email Friday calling the incidents "ELF actions,"

And it's not just Hummers.

http://www.worldhistory.com/wiki/E/Earth-L...ation-Front.htm

The Earth Liberation Front (ELF) is a loosely-knit terrist (friendly term) or ecoterrorist (unfriendly term) organization that, according to the ELF, "uses direct action in the form of economic sabotage to stop the exploitation and destruction of the natural environment" http://www.earthliberationfront.com/librar...ary/elf_faq.pdf, mainly in the United States and Canada.

Their techniques involve destruction of property that they believe is being used to hurt animals or the environment via arson or other means, and the release of animals from research facilities. This is also called ecotage.

The current group's first claimed action was in 1997; followed in 1998 by an arson attack on the Vail Mountain ski resort in Vail, Colorado. Since then they have claimed responsibility for dozens of destructive actions http://www.earthliberationfront.com/about/—32 in 2001 alone http://www.earthliberationfront.com/librar...ectActions.pdf— resulting in "$50 million in damages,"

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...cal/6562462.htm

Earth Liberation Front claims responsibility for San Diego arson

SAN DIEGO - The Earth Liberation Front suggested that a $50 million fire that destroyed an apartment complex under construction in San Diego two weeks ago was targeting "rampant urban development."

The Aug. 3 arson on San Diego's fast-growing northern edge was said to be the costliest action ever by the ELF, an underground group that since 1996 has claimed responsibility for arson attacks against commercial entities that members say threaten or damage the environment.

The ELF's press office said a banner left at the scene was a legitimate claim of responsibility. The 12-foot banner read, "If you build it, we will burn it" with the initials E.L.F. A statement issued shortly after the fire had made the same claim.

http://www.greenanarchy.org/zine/earthliberation.php

6. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sounds like a nasty bunch. Almost as nasty as big business, big oil, and government.

7. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh yes, I hated ELF ever since that attack on Vail. I didn't get to go skiing either that year or the year after because my parents refused to go due to the fact that the building they burned down was my parents favorite mountaintop restraunt.

Childhood trauma!

8. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

They openly admit to, and brag about their terrorist activities. They have a website, and post every incident that one of their cells is responsible for on it.

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    At least they're honest about it then. Big business and government lie about all their terrorism.

10. Ken Cooper

Ken Cooper New Member

No one should ever refer to these people as environmentalists, they don't in any sense of the word deserve the to be called that. They're terrorists, plain and simple.

11. kjb516

kjb516 New Member

While no one can condone the wrong doings of big business and governments, I fail to see how this justifies the wrongs of groups such as ELF (particularly as they present themselves as an alternative to them). What type of message does burning ski lodges, warehouses, SUV’s (etc, etc) send about one’s commitment to "saving the world"?

As one whom has spent much time trying to find ways to minimize my personal impact on this world (and attempting to convince those around me to follow suit), I am particularly offended and angry at these actions taken in the name of "environmentalism". I’d be willing to bet that their actions have had far more negative impact on their "cause" as public opinion backlashes against both them and environmentalism in general.

I see ELF less as "terrorists" than I do as group of uncreative, narrow-minded and unimaginative fools whom have sold out on creating a solution to the problem for simply trying to destroy that which they detest.

….
    ….
    ….

Besides, without "big business", what would we here at "PriusChat" be discussing anyway?

12. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I never suggested that one justifies the other. But there is the question of scale. One Exxon Valdez, or one oil-well fire ignited by a bomb dropped in war, or one cruise missile or bomber "sortie" probably does more environmental damage, than ELF could do in a century.

This in no way justifies what ELF does.

But criticizing ELF without at the same time criticizing government and business, is like swatting a mosquito while a grizzly is chewing off your leg.

But I would certainly not put Toyota or Honda in the same bag with Exxon.