1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Environmentally friendly cat litter

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by rflagg, Feb 25, 2005.

1. rflagg

rflagg Member

So, recently I've read a few articles and have become more self conscious about the health of my cats. We have 3 in our house - Sammy (male 6yr), Hankie (male 2 yr - see userpic), and Lily (female 4 yr).

For years now, we've been using the Tidy Cats w/crystals litter. But of course, one thing the Prius has helped me see is not wanting to waste so much, so I researched other forms of litter that also might be more healthy (since the clay dust will affect me, and the particles in their paws will affect the kitties) for us all. Recently I've been using Purina's Yesterdays News, which is only 6.99 for a 26# bag at Petsmart - half the price of the former litter. Yesterdays News is made from recycled newspaper, and the kitties have taken to it well.

Just doing a quick search on google, I found this detailed site about different cat litters available and loads of info on what the pluses and minuses are for each: http://www.worldwise.com/catboxlitter.html

For you other cat owners, what kind of litter do you(and your cats) prefer that's environmentally friendly?

-m.

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Good post and I have to admit I haven't given much thought to the topic. I just use a regular scented clumping litter for my plump cat. He seems to like it but maybe I should try something else.

I did try cheaper litter once and he refused to use it. I keep that large bag of litter at the hobby farm to mop up spills in the garage.

3. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I use the clumping litter. Its the only thing I'll use, as I can even get rid of the liquid waste, and go a VERY long time before I have to dump the "old litter" in the box.

Even at that, I don't see how litter is much of a toxin. It is after all clay, which is the primary type of dirt around my house. I even dump the old litter out on the back of the property, and let it mix with the rest of the dirt on the ground.

4. CitizenjaQ

CitizenjaQ New Member

My cat uses and loves SwheatScoop. It's made from wheat, clumps, and doesn't track too badly. It's not too pricey (more than generic clumping letter, less than "World's Best") and in addition to pet supply superstores I've found it at Target and Market Basket (a regional grocery store, also called DeMoulas).

Cat litter isn't so much an environmental issue with me as it is a cat health issue. Clay clumping litter is bad for cats and VERY bad for kittens because it can gum up their intestines and colon when they lick the dust off themselves. They also breathe in the silica dust, which does a number on their lungs. Wheat litter doesn't harm cats.

I never believe any litter that says it's "flushable." I put it in a paper bag or newspaper and throw it out.

5. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I was using FreshStep cat litter, but then becamse concerned with the clay and scenting (both for the environment and cats) so I tried out a couple of different wheat and corn based litters. I ended up liking World's Best Cat litter, which is a corn based litter. It might be a little more expensive that SwheatScoop, but I like it better--I think it clumps better maybe? I can't remember why. I use way less litter than I did with a clay based clumping litter. I don't flush it though; afraid of clogging the toilets. My cats are not very picky and have not had problems adjusting to different litters.

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I didn't know that. Is that why the Animal Shelter and pet stores use that silica stuff with kittens?

Now that I feel horrible for putting my cat's health at risk, I had better research different litter. I have learned my lesson from last time and will buy a small amount just to change the box with.

If he doesn't like it I'm not stuck with a giant bag of litter. I doubt I could use silica to mop up oil spills at my hobby farm.

7. kkister1492

kkister1492 New Member

Never flush cat litter! It ends up in places that contaminate our water and things that live in the water. There was a news story here last year (?) about the damage to the ecosystem from flushed cat litter/waste. Sorry, I don't remember all the details - just the main message "Don't do it?"

Would the wheat or corn-based litters work with the automated litter pans?

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have given serious consideration to potty training Nina. Does anyone here have any thoughts on that? Have you every tried? Te benefits I can think of include:
    * No more litter to buy
    * No more litter to sweep
    * No more litter to scop
    * No more litter box
    * No more litter box smell (come on, admit it: they don't always bury all of it)

I've done some research and have found - surprise! - conflicting reports and opinions ranging from "cats are smart" to "it's not natural".

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Tony:

Yeah I would *love* to be able to train my cat to use the toilet. Even better to flush after he was done.

I'm sure you've seen those videos on Animal Planet of the smart cat that even remembers to flush. I wish.

10. rflagg

rflagg Member

Tried it with some cats once, bought the 'train your cat to use the toilet' kit that actually holds a bit of litter in a shallow pan that fits over your toilet seat - supposedly you put some catnip on the rim the first few times to coax them up there and use it, but I could never get them past the stage of 'we're afraid of the toilet', so I never got it to work.

-m.

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, my cat isn't afraid of a toilet. He'll usually jump up and sit on the seat to watch me shave in the morning, or he just sits on the vanity top if he wants a better view.

Geez that can be creepy, those yellow eyes staring at you when you shave. I usually cut myself too. Maybe that's what he wants.

He also isn't afraid of water. If I put 2-3 inches of water in the tub to soak for a bit, he'll hop in if I'm not careful. Then he'll make one h*** of a mess and I have to dry him off.

How is that silica cat litter? Seems kind of pricey but is it "safer" than regular clumping litter? Does it cover odors as well??

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No! Really???

:lol:

Even better when they get a bit too energetic trying to bury everything and something - you know what too - goes flying out onto the floor.

I've learned from hard experience to always flick on the light and look down before entering the bathroom at 5:30am.

13. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, mine prefer to use the toilet as a water bowl. Before everyone immediately responds with the expeted gross out replies, I have two bathrooms, and only use one of them. The other bathroom is wholly theirs, their food is in there (out of reach of the dogs), the litter box is in there (out of the way of me, and visitors), and the toilet is never used for it's "proper" purpose. :mrgreen:

14. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I know people who have trained their dogs to drink from the toilet. *Usuallly* everything from the previous use goes away and the replinishing water is clean and cool.

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You have to *train* a dog to do that??

My parents had a German Shepherd in the 80's. She would always drink from the bowl, and sometimes she was so impatient she wouldn't even wait for you to flush first.

Sweet dog, very lovable, sadly missed, but not too much going on upstairs.

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I keep the litter box in my ensuite and the food by my nightstand in the bedroom. So naturally my cat spends most of his time in the master bedroom.

This works out well as not everybody likes kitties. So when I have company over and I know they are uncomfortable around cats, I just leave him in my bedroom with the door closed.

Since he's used to it, he doesn't cry or carry on, and the visitors can use the bathroom and not have to look at a kitty box. Some folks get *really* grossed out when they see a litter box with something poking out.

17. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think some kind of telepathic role reversal has occured around my house. The dogs hate water, and the cats don't mind it at all. I used to maintain a fresh water bowl for the cats. They would watch me put it down, and then saunter off to the "big ceramic one." The dogs don't want anything to do with toilet water, and REALLY let me (and the rest of the neighbourhood for that matter,) know when the water in THEIR bowl gets a little stale. Since that bathroom is so tiny, I just made it off limits to people, and let the cats have it.

18. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll probably end up setting up something similar if current plans pan out. I'm trying to sell my current house, and want to build a bigger place on a regular lot instead of having to maintain acreage. The floorplan that I've chosen has a MASSIVE master suite with a huge master bathroom. Kitties will start having their stuff kept up there, since I will no longer have to give up my room when family comes down to visit. Right now, my folks, or my brothers who are married, get the master bedroom as it offers privacy, and is the only bedroom large enough to really be used by more than one person. I then, occupy the couch.

19. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Uh oh, I recommend extensive - and expensive - therapy.

Not for the cats though. You'll *never* change them.

However, you'll need the therapy to be able to cope with the kitties.

I think the only reason my cat stares at me while I'm shaving is that he's hoping I get so unnerved I slice my jugular vein and bleed to death.

The humor writer Dave Barry - who freely admits he hates cats - has often stated that the only reason cats were placed on Earth was to cause harm to human beings. That's why we don't have Seeing Eye Cats:

The moment a cat figured out a human would obediently follow a leashed cat anywhere, the cat would lead the human into giant whirling unshielded industrial machinery.

20. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    First of all, there is *no* way in h*** that I would sleep on my couch while company occupied my master suite. Uh ah, nosir. I'd sooner stick them out on the 18th floor balcony exposed to the elements at -40.

Have you considered a "cab over" style? If you need more square footage but don't need a giant floorplan, a cab over occupies the "wasted" space over the attached garage.

I almost went with a cab over for my hobby farm, then realized I must have been a few Twinkies short of a snack. I just didn't need that much space. However, I have the plans and I really did like the floorplan.

Main level had a mudroom and powder room off the attached garage. Right across from the powder room is the laundry. Then nice soaring ceiling for living room and dining room, with good kitchen space and walk-in pantry.

Two bedrooms and large bath on main floor. Nice staircase leading up to large 15x25 master suite with large ensuite. Basement is optional.

There are many online home plan sites with nice floorplans. I got mine from :

http://www.homeplans.com