1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EPA change would reduce mileage shown on stickers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Areometer, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    EPA change would reduce mileage shown on vehicle stickers
    Proposal would bring showroom estimates closer to what the car will get on the road
    By MICHELINE MAYNARD
    New York Times
    Posted: Jan. 10, 2006

Detroit - The Environmental Protection Agency on Tuesday proposed the first major overhaul in 20 years in the way it calculates fuel economy ratings for cars and trucks, a shift the agency said would reduce mileage estimates by 5% to 30%, depending on the type of driving and kind of vehicle.

The new testing method, according to Stephen L. Johnson, EPA's administrator, would come much closer to bridging "the gap between what the window sticker says and what consumers can expect in their fuel economy."

The EPA expects to introduce the changes starting with 2008 models, which will go on sale as early as a year from now.

>> Read More

2. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I hope the new system doesn't just give totally meaninless numbers and bad AC units!

I don't see how they can throw in hot weather and cold weather together and come up with something meaningful to anyone.

And for AC just using the effect on mpg only gives car companies lots of incentive to through in undersized AC units.

It would be better the way it is now and people ought to know that they have to adjust the numbers for weather and AC usage for their conditions.

AC should be listed separately just like house AC units with it's own efficiency ranking.
    With that everyone should know about how many mpg to subtract for any given temp if they want to use AC.

3. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Of course, this may make the Prius look even better when most of us will be able to show, anyone who wants to look, our current mpg. If the new EPA numbers say you'll only get 35 mpg on the freeway and 42 in the city and my car's display shows its usual 50, it will be a car that exceeds the EPA estimates.

4. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I just spent a few minutes reading the EPA proposal, and found a nasty surprise:

The EPA intends to apply the power draining tests on a selective basis, only to cars that in it's view are especially prone to mpg deviation from that condition.

That is such political bullshit, directed straight at hybrids. Between setting an arbitrary cut-off to include certain cars and not others, and picking on cars that show a larger percentage change, oversized engined cars and gas guzzlers are protected.

I'll write a comment, and hope everybody else does too. The EPA has been corrupted by bush & Co., but at least the comments will be on record.l

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The point of EPA exams should be to conduct accurate tests resulting in the ability to draw unbiased comparisons. Yeah, it would really stink if they directly targetted hybrids, but for the sake of fair and balanced reporting, every vehicle from every manufacturer in every catagory MUST be tested and reported the same.

6. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Good thing this is happening in 2008 . . . otherwise those Californians with the Clean Air HOV stickers may be forced to give them back before the January 1, 2008 expiration date.

[ :p Just kidding]

If the law is extended, I have no doubt the Prius will still surpass the qualifying "USEPA Highway fuel economy rating greater than 45 MPG."

This is my results from driving to UC Berkeley and back on January 23rd . . . a Monday. Temperatures were in the mid to upper 60s. I filled up about half way to Berkeley. 95% of the milage was highway, and shockingly, most of that was at or above 60 mph!
    [attachmentid=1940]