1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EPA GHG Emissions Inventory Report

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tripp, Feb 20, 2007.

1. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Interesting report from the EPA on GHG (CO2) emissions inventory.

2007 EPA GHG Report.

The basic thrust is that we're considerably more efficient now, but because both the economy and population are larger our emissions have risen by 19% since 1990. The report fingers transportation as the biggest contributor, but that's not much of a surprise. What I find interesting is the info about the airline. Despite a 69% increase in person miles flow the emissions only increased 16%. Obviously we need to make the growth in Co2 negative, not fractional increases.

2. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The 4th Iteration of the IPCC report has just been released. The US is No. 1 emissions, with China and India increasing rapidly and expected to greatly exceed US emissions.

"Houston, we have a problem!" Current CO2 levels are at 380 ppm, expected to reach 500 ppm within 50 years. The IPCC report is based on 30,000 published documents and states their findings are unequivocal (greater than 90% likely).

We need to completely rethink our approach to life, with more efforts toward sustainability.

3. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm familiar with the report. It's hard not to be as it's been in the papers as front page headlines. It should be as mainstream awareness is woefully late. However, It's interesting that our carbon intensity has decreased without awareness or any motivation to actively curb the problem. Now that we've hopefully turned the corner the perhaps we'll start to see some real improvement, not just the talk that's come out of Europe. They really haven't accomplished any real CO2 reductions. For us it should be a bit easier because we're starting out with a lot of inefficiency and waste. However, China and India are going to have to be encouraged/prodded/tariffed into action as well. Without them on board everyone stands to lose. It's in their best interest to help solve the problem so I think that they'll get on board. I have a suspicion that China will do their best to get others to pay for their modernization but only time will tell.

An eye towards sustainable (insert just about anything here) should govern everything and we really need to have started instilling that in our citizens 50 years ago. At least the concept of dominion really does seem to be dying. Not soon enough but better late than never.