1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EPA Releases Model 3 Dual Motor MPG

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by hill, Jul 21, 2018.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Both the Performance and non-Performance Dual Motor versions received the same rating of 120 MPGe for city driving and 112 MPGe for highway driving.

[​IMG]

Not too shabby.
    All that is left to know about the car now, is what the EPA number of the "smaller" pack will be. I emphasize smaller because it's still a mystery if the model 3's traction pack will simply be limited, the way the 60/75Kwh pack are, on the bigger Teslas. It meant less crash testing for the bigger cars, because both packs were the same size & weight, & thus more crash testing wasn't necessary. Plus, you get the benefit of upgrading any time you want (& have the extra cash) with a simple over the air update.

#1 hill, Jul 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    mr88cet likes this.
  2. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Good info! Thanks. I personally think that miles per KWh (or Wh per mile as Tesla usually quotes them) are more interesting than MPGe, but still, good info.

One of my colleagues has a RWD Model 3, and on a recent road trip, averaged ~280Wh per mile, or about ~3.6 miles per KWh. That, as opposed to ~4.7 miles per KWh I’m seeing on my P.Prime Advanced. Then again, they’re two very-different cars, so...

I think it’s unlikely Tesla will make the short-range Model 3s (“short*er*-range”; 220 miles is definitely not “short range”) with any more batteries than they absolutely need to have. That’s the only way they can get sufficient margin on those vehicles.

#2 mr88cet, Jul 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Car companies hire industrial psychologists that figure out where buttons should be - how people find the most comfort with different types of options, what types of looks & colors are most popular Etc.
    For Tesla, they discovered that after a while, most owners (of 60kWh packs) that were capable of upgrading by simply paying (because the pack had larger capability) were willing to do so. That brings in more money to Tesla, as that same person would be less likely to go out & buy a car with a bigger battery, since they already paid for the car in the first place. Used, second owners also take advantage of this sometimes, bye picking up a Tesla for less money, planning to OTA upgrade when they got the extra cash.
    Will (Tesla build) history repeat itself? We'll see.
    The question then boils down to, is it cheaper to crash a dozen or more $30,000 cars? Or is a few extra kwh of batteries mour costly, knowing that many will pay for an OTA upgrade down the road.

4. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That theory was debunked about two years ago. Tesla listed the weight of the short range car about 300 pounds less than the long range version. Since the cars are identical, the presumption is the battery pack is different, smaller, not software limited. (please don't make me look up the specs)

On another note, the EPA listed the long range version at 334 miles (and that is what speed limit drivers have been experiencing), but Tesla decided to down-rate the range to 310 miles (some speculate to prevent cannibalization of the MS model). Tesla has rated the short range model 3 at 220 miles. Did Tesla down-rate the the short range version too? Could the short range version with a smaller battery pack have an EPA range of 240/250 miles? I don't know, but it will be interesting to see when the EPA ratings are released for the 3SR.