1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EPA Test Car Database with MPG vs mph charts

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Fuel Economy' started by bwilson4web, Mar 13, 2016.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Introduction

In 2015, the EPA and Toyota conducted standard tests pre-production Gen-4 Prius and those results are found:
    Test Car List Data Files | Cars and Light Trucks | US EPA

Thanks to a helpful e-mail and a few guesses, we've mapped the sales models to the EPA test data into a smaller table.

Test Car Database

This table lists the sales and tested Prius configurations versus the five EPA tests. The MPG numbers, "RND_ADJ_FE", are the lab tested, fuel efficiency, which factors out vehicle display errors. However, these numbers are further reduced to reflect owner experience and generate the Monroney sticker seen on new cars. So here is the data:
    sales\test Cold CO Federal fuel HWFE SC03 US06
    1 Prius 2 ECO (Eco) 58.0(gas) 82.5(gas) 78.2(gas) 59.6(gas) 58.5(E10) 51.6(gas)
    2 Prius 2 ECO (Nrm) 56.3(gas) 84.1(gas) 78.2(gas) 59.0(gas) 57.4(E10) 51.1(gas) 50.7(E10)
    3 Prius 2 ECO (Pwr) 56.6(gas) 84.1(gas) 76.9(gas) 58.0(gas) 51.0(gas) 50.1(E10)
    4 Prius 2 (NiMH 15") 56.3(gas) 58.8(gas) 58.1(E10)
    5 Prius 2 (NiMH 17") 51.7(gas) 51.9(gas) 51.3(E10)
    6 Prius 2 (NiMH all season tires) 55.4(gas) 77.3(gas) 76.1(gas) 52.3(gas) 48.6(gas)
    7 Prius 2 (NiMH summer tires) 50.8(gas) 64.9(gas) 63.6(gas) 46.9(gas) 45.4(E10) 42.9(gas)
    8 Prius 3_4 (15") 78.0(gas) 71.2(gas) 48.6(gas)
    9 Prius 3_4 (17") 71.1(gas) 66.0(gas) 45.5(gas)

Each of three, Gen-4 Prius goes through up two five different tests: Cold CO, Federal fuel, HWFE, SC03, and US06. There are three Prius bodies tested: Level 2 ECO, Level 2 (NiMH), and combined Level 3 and 4 (hopefully a 4.) Then options are tested: different wheel sizes, standard and E10 gas, and two tire types. To get the best return on test time and labor, optional configurations are mixed to map out the boundary. This means some redundant tests, say "summer" versus "all season" tire configurations are skipped on some bodies. Still, these data raise eyebrows:
    1. Prius 2 ECO (Eco), Federal fuel, 82.5(gas) - this data point is lower than the modes (Nrm) and (Pwr). It seems the test driver quality metrics, "DT-Inertial", "DT-Absolute", and "DT-Energy", are significantly different than the other two with both sign and magnitude differences. The (Eco) mode remaps the car response to the accelerator and this may have surprised the driver who has to follow a specific speed protocol.
    2. "Prius 2 (NiMH 15")" and "Prius 2 (NiMH 17")" - were e-mail tagged as "Prius ECO" LiON models but their weight matches the "Prius 2". Also, "Prius 2" has the "summer tires" and "all season tires" tests which makes more sense for a compare and contrast than testing these tires on the "Prius 2 ECO." I could be wrong but IMHO this makes sense.
    sales\Federal fuel RND_ADJ_FE AVG BAGS FE Bag 1 FE Bag 2 FE Bag 3 FE Bag 4 DT-Inertia Work Ratio Rating DT-Absolute Speed Change Ratg DT-Energy Economy Rating
    1 Prius 2 ECO (Eco) 82.5 87.7 60.78 110.49 68.97 110.49 -0.47 -0.22 -0.35
    2 Prius 2 ECO (Nrm) 84.1 90.7 61.24 110.52 66.44 124.53 0.08 0.15 -0.16
    3 Prius 2 ECO (Pwr) 84.1 90.8 58.80 119.51 68.51 116.34 0.44 0.3 -0.18

1. Bag 1 and Bag 3 - start of each run, the cold MPG
    2. Bag 2 and Bag 4 - end of teach run, the warmed MPG
    This is the driving profile:
    [​IMG]
    This test takes two days starting with a cold-start and capturing the exhaust in two large sample bags. Chemical analysis identifies the emissions but the bags also identify cold-start MPG and warm-start MPG. So we can map these results into the different Gen-4 sales models:
    [​IMG]
    • Bottom markers - "morning" phases of a two day test. The car cools as if parked to replicate the first drive of the day. All of the exhaust gas is captured in bags, 1 and 3 on each day of the test and analyzed to determine emissions and fuel consumption.
    • Top markers - "arrive at work" phase of each, two day test. A second bag, 2 and 4 captures the exhaust for emissions analysis.
    • Warm-up phase - replicates "commuting" the car on a cross-town, commuter route. No measurements are taken.
    • X-axis - the calculated, cumulative MPG from this test.
    • Y-axis - the four, individual bag MPGs from this two day, test.

I've included the Gen-3 Prius, Prius v, Prius c, and PiP. The Gen-4 cold-start performance is much better, especially the Level 2 ECO. A lighter car, it is possible the traction battery is used more in this high-fuel burn region along with lower aerodynamic drag from the active vanes. However, warm-start performance is identical between the Level 3 and 4, 15" wheels, suggesting paying attention to warm-up driving profiles can bring the Level 3 and 4 close to Level 2 ECO performance.

The second take-away is tires and wheels have a significant effect. Just going from 15" to 17" wheels decreases mileage and here is the proof. They also tested a "summer tire" and it really hit mileage. It makes such a difference, one might consider writing the contract to replace the OEM tires with ones that also correct the in-car calibration error with lower rolling resistance.

EPA tests are defined so anyone can replicate and achieve similar results on a dynamometer. But dyno time is expensive and trying to follow the scripted driving protocol is not really practical for owners. However, we can do our own benchmarks mapping MPG as a function of speed, mph.

First we need a test route, 10-11 miles, without stops, without hills or undulations. On a straight, we do two runs in opposite directions and average the results to take out wind and altitude changes. A loop solves the two run problem because the start and stop is the same point. Loops are often found around shopping centers, industrial parks, and beltways around cities and towns.

The speed should be set and held by the cruise control. This takes out human errors and makes the data easily replicated. Since the minimum Prius cruise control speed is 23 mph and it can drop-out, start at 25 mph on the low side.

Conclusion

The Level 3 and 4, 15" wheel, Gen-4 has nearly identical performance to the Level 2 ECO. However, it may have safety options not available on the Level 2. Upgrade the tires and one should have Level 2 performance in a safer car.

Bob Wilson

ps. We have an answer via e-mail:

Hi Bob,

It looks like there is a bit of confusion about which vehicles are represented on the Test Car List. Hopefully this summary will clear up most of your questions.

Vehicle 16-ZV2H is the Prius 2 Eco, and it is tested in Power, Normal, and ECO modes (16-ZV2H/0, 16-ZV2H/1, and 16-ZV2H/2 respectively).

Vehicle 16-ZV1H is the Prius 3, 4 with the Li-Ion battery. 16-ZV1H/1 represents the models with 17 inch wheels, and 16-ZV1H/2 represents the models with 15 inch wheels.

Vehicle 16-ZV3H is the Prius 2 with the NiMH battery. 16-ZV3H/1 represents summer tires, and 16-ZV3H/2 represents all-season tires.

You can find descriptions of the sales model codes in the certification applications available on the Document Index System:
    Basic Search | Document Index System | US EPA

Here are direct links to the applications:
    https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=36706&flag=1
    https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=36707&flag=1

The information is in the section “Description of Vehicles Covered by Certificate”

Regards,
    <name withheld upon request>

pps. I am working on a math model using the roll-down coefficients to map MPG vs mph.

#1 bwilson4web, Mar 13, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    fuzzy1 and iplug like this.
  2. TomNat

TomNat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Bob, Thanks for the Prius Gen 4 EPA mpg info compared with Gen 3, c & v models.

What do the ranges & points mean on the mpg bars on your graph, and also please define/spell out the "test" titles on your first table?

It was interesting to see the mpg reduction from 17" to 15" wheels, also from summer to all season tires. Do you know what the tire sizes & types were for the Gen 3 vehicles? Thanks again!

bwilson4web likes this.
  3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What's a summer tire? Shouldn't that be better than a A/S tire?

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    For nice weather traction and performance, a summer, or 3 season, tire should be better than an all season, all else being equal. Rolling resistance is a separate quality. I'm sure there are LRR summer tires, but it appears whatever model the tested Prius was equipped with had more resistance than the all season one.

wjtracy likes this.
  5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    "Summer tires are ideal for high performance vehicles, and are built for speed and agility. They offer increased responsiveness, cornering, and braking capabilities. This is typically attributed to specialized tread patterns and rubber compounds that allow for improved precision on the road. The tread patterns of summer tires have less grooving and put more rubber in contact with the road. They are designed to provide maximum road-holding grip. The tread compounds of summer tires are designed to remain more flexible, allowing for better traction and grip. Summer tires may have shallower tread depths that allow for more stability when pushed closer to their limits." - Summer Tires vs. All Season Tires &#x7c; Bridgestone Tires

No hint of good MPG.

"Summer tires are designed for optimal performance at temperatures above 7 °C.
    These tires typically use a soft rubber compound that delivers good grip and handling on both dry and wet roads.
    However, this same compound makes summer tires less suitable in winter weather conditions below 7 °C.
    Choose a summer tire if:
    You want to maximize your vehicle’s handling and performance during milder months
    You have a set of winter tires for colder months
    You experience very mild winters with temperatures remaining above 7 °C (allowing you to use summer tires all year long)"
    - Summer vs. All-season tires | Goodyear Tire Buying Guide

Again, no hint that good MPG is in the cards.

wjtracy likes this.
  6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So that's (summer tire) what not to get for a Prius?

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I added more descriptions under the table and graph that hopefully explain what is going on. Sometimes I write in what reads like a foreign language, techno-babble. Equally obscure, mentally I often 'see' relationships between numbers which might not reach the text I post. So I am OK with suggestions to edit and improve.
    Thanks to a helpful e-mail, most of the test vehicle models and configurations are mapped to the database. But the "summer" versus "all season" tires is unknown to me. Clever use of Google and the EPA search engine might find something describing what is going on. I could use some help in this area.

Bob Wilson

#7 bwilson4web, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not much difference to NiMH Level 2 15-in A/S tires either right?

Does EPA take the tires off and use their own tires?

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My eyes see the NiMH performing like the Level 3, 4.
    This is an area where we could use some Google or search engine help. Re-read the release notes and perhaps someone can find something I've missed. Come on folks, team effort.

Bob Wilson

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Well, not that particular brand and model if you value fuel economy. Seeing how LRR winter tires exist, summer ones should too. The selection of all season LRR tires is likely just larger, though. That said, if you value traction and performance more than fuel economy, then you should use summer tires with winter ones when needed.

It's about the rubber compound. Summer and winter use one that works best for the temperature ranges they will be used in. While all seasons use one that will work in a wider range, but will make trade offs to do so. Such trade offs are also made among other tire attributes. LRR generally requires trading off traction. The same with tread life. Newer formulations are improving these trade off ratios though.

I wonder where these summer tires were intended for? Southern California, maybe Europe. I've heard cars use summer tires for OEM more often there.

The EPA updated the test rules for MY2016. Changes to the roll down test was likely the one with the biggest effect on the test results, but these rules also cover the condition of the car and tires, and how the car can be set up. I've heard NEDC allows the panel and light gaps to be taped over.

The tires can be broken in, but not well worn; those have a lower rolling resistance. I remember a 4000 mile figure in relation to the tires from one of the articles about the new rules. I thought the tires had to be OEM, but we have a thread about people getting tire models different from what Toyota stated was going to be equipped.

When the EPA decides to audit test a car, I don't know where they get it from. My best guess is that they ask for one from the manufacturer that complies with the rules.

11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No they use the ones provided by MFG. The only requirement that this tire has to be used on production car (at least on good number of them) so they cannot bring one off tire for tests.

BTW it is misnomer EPA only runs selective tests and the rest of the data provided by MFG. For example EPA did not tested Eco, they only ran US06 (aggressive driver), HWFE (highway federal) and Federal fuel 2-day exhaust (w/can load) (city) on regular Prius, the rest was provided by MFG. The discrepancies in Bob's OP btw the same tests are due to different conditions/different dyno used, most likely, and perhaps due to different tires (both Eco and Prius 2 come with different tires EP422 and Enasave).

Interestingly that when comparing data btw Gen-4 (non-eco) and Prius C, the difference isn't that big. -10.5% on hwy, -15.5% in city and aggressive driving, -17% with A/C but only -4% on cold starts.

wjtracy likes this.
  12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I know it is very confusing who is doing the tests and where and how

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thank you! This is exactly the type of dialog I am looking for:
    This is exactly correct. The roll-down characteristics are significantly different between the Toyota and EPA coefficients. This is what we are talking about:
    Target Coef A (lbf) Target Coef B (lbf/mph) Target Coef C (lbf/mph**2)
    1 17.130 0.28731 0.013857
    2 18.272 0.29545 0.013793
    3 19.034 0.31923 0.015397
    4 20.302 0.32827 0.015326
    5 24.153 0.33502 0.014096
    6 26.837 0.37224 0.015662
    7 31.145 0.35285 0.013956
    8 34.605 0.39206 0.015507

Now the drag hp is:

drag_hp = mph * (Coef A + (mph * Coef B) + (mph**2 * Coef C) ) / 375​

But there is a factor of 2 between the lowest and highest Coef A which corresponds to the static (i.e., tire and weight) factor. But it isn't much better with Coef C, the primarily aerodynamic coefficient. So here is a graphical representation of the problem:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    So the only remaining task is to calculate the gallons burned per hour per HP. Divide MPH by gallons burned per hour per HP and we have a set of curves showing the MPG as a function of speed. Fun with math.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We need some 10 mile, constant speed, benchmarks at 25 mph and the 60-75 mph range. Best case, a circular route with the same start and stop or two, bidirectional runs over the same, flat route. Include the model and tires; temperature; any calibration of odometer/speed against a known standard, and; any other factors that might affect the results.

The 25 mph benchmarks allow us to tweak the electrical overhead, estimated at 600W based on earlier Gen-3 metrics. The high speed benchmarks allow tweaking the drive train efficiency.

Bob Wilson

#13 bwilson4web, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2016