1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Equating Aftermarket Crash Parts to OEM Parts

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bwilson4web, Nov 27, 2010.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I was going to post in the NHW11 forum but this applies to older, NHW20s too. The annual sales of NHW20 models often exceeded the three year total of all NHW11s:

NCOIL Defeats Amendment Equating Aftermarket Crash Parts to OEM Parts: BodyShop Business - The Body Shop Reference
    Recently I made a choice between NHW11 traction batteries:
    • $2,250 (list) - OEM replacement traction battery using original design, modules.
    • $1,700 (list) - ReInVolt pack built using slavage NHW20 modules.

We have a rich history in the USA of using parts from salvaged vehicles to repair older cars but usually not under warranty or insurance paid replacement. Rather, it has been spotty with some insurance repairs using salvage parts and others mandating the typically, more expensive OEM replacement part. But it typically applies only if the car still has collision coverage, the insurance to repair a car.

Our 2003 Prius is free of any Toyota warranties and insurance collision coverage. Furthermore, I have the maintenance manuals, skills, tools and attitude needed to keep our 2003 Prius running 'until the wheels fall off.' With an annual salvage loss of ~3% per year, the salvage yard inventory is high enough to provide plenty of spare parts.

In contrast, my non-technical wife's ZVW30 is still under Toyota warranty as well as collision insurance. Although growing over time, the salvage yards do not have that many to draw upon. In between these two are the NHW20s.

So I'm of two minds about this proposal. If passed, insurance companies could specify that salvage parts be used. For recycling and salvage yards, this would be great. For self-maintenance and non-insurance repairs, prices would go up. One thing for sure, time marches on and though not that big of a deal for those who still carry collision, eventually the lucky vehicles will pass to self-maintenance owners.

Bob Wilson