1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Err... I think I broke something

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tideland Prius, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, here's the scenario.

I washed my car on Saturday afternoon and it's been in the garage until this morning. The coldest it got was -1.4°C at 6am sunday morning and -1.8°C at 5am this morning.

I got into the car this morning and pushed POWER to start the car (yes, with the foot on the brake). I shifted into Drive but the car didn't move forward. Ok, I thought maybe I did the sequence too fast and for whatever reason the car didn't start but was in IG-ON mode. I shut off and restarted it and again it didn't move forward when it was in D. So I lightly pressed the accelerator, slowly increasing the pressure and sudden;y a loud boom was heard. I thought I might've hit the recycling bin or something that was at the side of the garage. My brother got out and did a 360° check and said nothing was close to the car that I could've hit.

So... I now place my problem to you all. What could've possibly made that loud sound? parking prawl? The shifter indicator showed "D" though. hmm...

2. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My guess, frozen brakes...or tires frozen to the pavement.

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    tyres? the won't make a loud sound.. sounds like metal to metal or in the case of my recycling bin analogy, plastic box shoved on a smooth concrete floor that has sand and other small pebbles on it.

I've released the parking brake already before pressing the accelerator.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    does it shift into drive and park okay now? any strange noise or behavior?

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    it works now. Like I said, the electric motor seems louder and the pitch is ever so slightly off from 'normal' but I'm gonna ignore those for now and assume that I'm making stuff up to find the problem, so to speak. Also, for the first time I can ever recall, my front disc brake rotors are clean and not covered in rust which means my trip to school involved braking such that I was using the friction brakes and hence cleaning the rotors. I did brake harder than normal twice this morning, maybe that was enough to clean it?

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    dragging the friction brakes just once is enough to wipe the rotors clean. are in the habit of setting the parking brake? its possible that the parking brakes froze to wheel and broke loose when you popped into drive. releasing the handle wont do it. i have seen that many times when liiving in Michigan. in fact, no one used parking brakes in winter unless on a real real steep hill

but to be honest with ya, usually has to be bit colder than what you had although, freezing is freezing...

7. rposton

rposton Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

You washed your car, and yes I know that your parking brake was off, but still, there was enough water to form an ice bond between your shoes/pads and the rotors/drums.

8. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Johnathan turn the tunes back up and drive it. I think your listening to intently to the car and you really should ignore it for now and drive it. If it's broke it'll tell you soon enough. But I'll go with the rest of the group and say it was brakes.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm... it's not that cold but cold enough that water on metal will probably form ice. Brakes eh?

Dave, I'm not sure about dragging it once. I haven't seen it clean since I got the car a year and a half ago. Even after doing ABS testing in the snow this past winter, it still had rust on the rotors. Now it's as a clean as regular cars.

rposton, hmm... why wouldn't that happen to other people in snowier climates?

So... brakes as in parking brake or brakes as in the actual brakes?

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hmmm. maybe a super frozen chunk of ice formed on your calipers, and when you took off, the ice ground your rotors to a nice shiny silver...

then again.

actually, i know what you are talking about. my front wheels have a light coating of rust on them and have had that since day 2 (like to think they were shiny for at least one day)

since parking brakes only should have been on the rear, really dont have an explanation for them being so smooth. although one good rub will clean them, its actually difficult to do that with a Prius if you are into maxing regen. if being careful, friction brakes dont come into play until going less 8 mph.

makes it tough to "ride the brakes hard" when you are barely moving.

now it makes me think that maybe that bang you heard could be a pad coming loose.

about 20 years ago, i was in a car with a friend of mine and we were driving down the road... all of a sudden, heard a loud bang and the car came skidding to a halt. car was locked up it seemed. hitting the gas, you could feel the car trying to move but no go.

parked it, got out, looked it over, didnt see much wrong with it, got back in, and tried to go... nothing, so the guy put it in reverse, and no problem, puts it in drive and takes off and we could hear parts falling off the car. get out, front brake pad is lying there.

from what we could figure, the pad came loose. wedged itself against the wheel and got stuck. rolling backwards unstuck it and when going forward again, it fell out.

was one of the most comical things i had ever seen. it was like the keystone cops or the 3 stooges or something...

well, to keep all the brake fluid from running out, (it was about half gone as it was), we wedged the shoe back in place, drove nearly 3 miles home and parked it... ya i know... pretty stupid, but that was actually one of the more saner things i was doing at that time of my life.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Trust me, even scrubbing with a brush won't remove the rust so I had to be using the frictions brakes for ALL the stops I made during the morning commute to have cleaned it up. As far as I can see, nothing fell out. I just don't see how ice between the pad and rotor can stop the car creeping forward. It had to be on the two front wheels (since the rear are drums and are better shielded. I doubt it. I've washed the cars in the winter before and nothing like this happened. If there was ice, there would've been some droplets of water in and around the wheel, fender and maybe lower front door but the car was completely dry.

There wasn't any lurch or anything when the car finally gave way.

12. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another vote right here for frozen brakes. I've seen it enough to know it. I think the manual actually mentions not setting the parking brake when it's cold because the rear brakes could bind up.

13. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From what you're saying, it really sounds like your parking brake was frozen on. So, when you released the pedal, even though it came up, it didn't actually release the parking brake. Then, when you pushed down on the accelerator, the back wheels broke loose from the frozen parking brake (with a bang, since it's spring loaded) and you were on your way. Seems to me that you should just avoid putting the parking brake on in the winter unless you're on a substantial hill.

This seems like the obvious answer, so I'm not sure why other people haven't suggested it; am I missing something?

14. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I've had a similar experiance after washing many different cars. It may not be ice, but rust. Most new cars have brake pads impregnated with metal particles, and the rotor can develop a surface coating of rust in a matter of minutes after getting wet and sitting. Wash the car and then park it without driving it enough to dry off the rotors and they will rust. So will the metal in the pads. In fact, they rust together. The first time you drive it afterwards you will have to break them free, usually with a big bang. This has happened on my Prius, also has happened on my Audi A4.
    1 minute of driving cleans the rust off of the rotors and pads.

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Johnanthan:

That happens all the time in winter after I have to drive through a major snowfall, or now with all the slush and water on the streets.

My condo has heated underground parking, and especially in cold temps driving through deep snow, there is a lot of snow/ice buildup on the wheels by the time I drive into the parking. Of course there is also snow/ice in the wheelwells too.

By next morning, it has all melted but the rotors are still damp and rusty. When I first move the car, nothing happens for a moment then there is a soft "clunk" and the car jerks ahead. Other cars in the parking do the same thing.

As I have to ride the brake at low speed for about 150 metres, by the time I get to the door the grinding sensation is gone and the brakes work normally again.

Note: I always set the parking brake, even when outside. I only had a problem once with my Prius, at -40, when the parking brake was sluggish to release.

jay

16. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I may have missed it but are you sure that the loud boom came from your car? That it didn't come from a car in the area that had a big backfire or something? Also, I've created a big boom from previous cars when going over something with one tire which raises it up and then drops it with a thud.

17. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That would be one hell of a coincedence if the nearby car backfired right as his car lurched forward. :blink:

EDIT: OK. To be fair, I just read and he didn't explicitly say that his car jumped foward with the boom; I guess I just assumed that from my own experience.

18. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It's happened to me before when somebody's car backfires so loudly that it seems to come from anywhere and everywhere. It's a coincidence but not necessarily one where the odds were right up there with winning the lottery. Anyway, I wasn't talking to you :p

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ehh.. it's in my garage. I didn't hit anything and it wasn't a soft clunk and my name only has one "h" in it :p

so, you guys think that loud bang/boom sound was the parking brake suddenly breaking free of ice and/or rust?

20. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    If it had happened to me, I'd take it in to the dealership, tell them what happened and see if they can run the diagnostics on it to see if they can find anything wrong. I wouldn't guess. Even if it was frozen brakes or whatever, it still could have caused some damage that you won't find by crawling around on the garage floor.