1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Escape-Hybrid observations

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by john1701a, Nov 23, 2004.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It is a "full" hybrid, like Prius. And it achieves the same purpose. But the behavior is different... which explains the differences in owner comments I've observed.

Think of the Escape-Hybrid as a Prius with "EV mode" only, no Stealth or Multi-Display.

That really adds a new twist to the way people perceive hybrids. Owners comments have supported the impression that the system will remain in electric-only driving as long as realistically possible. Then when the engine starts, it is an obvious switch-over. Sound familiar? That is actually the way people originally thought Prius worked. Interesting, eh?

With Prius, you have a very dynamic system. Electrical flow changes often. In fact, it is completely normal to see it change 10 to 20 times per minute. This apparently doesn't happen with Escape-Hybrid. Instead, owners insist it remains in a single mode for quite some time before switching. And the switch is noticable, no Multi-Display is needed... which explains why it isn't standard and also explains why the owners haven't expressed much curiousity about technical details.

So, compared to HSD, it doesn't try to take advantage of every brief opportunity to gain efficiency. Yet, it does seem to deliver rather well anyway. Efficiency is clearly above what an "assist" hybrid delivers, and it is cleaner too.

It looks like Ford did very well.

Next is to reduce the production cost and offer electric A/C. Switching to a high-density battery-module would be a nice perk too.

2. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

im glad ford is using hybrid technology like this...

At least some american companies are trying to figure out a better way to move our cars...

Yes, the prius is still a lot better, but at least they are trying. I give them credit.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    its too bad that ford is suffering vendor problems much like Toyota has.

my sister works at the ford dealer in town and they arent receiving any kind of schedule on hybrid deliveries.

so far, they have received 3... all of which came unannounced, all were sold the first day on the lot and each has gone for a $9k premium. because of the fact that they are not taking a waiting list, its first come, first serve. a few times they had been told that they would receive a "shipment" of hybrids... however, none have materialized.

the Prius has been allocated to this area in numbers that are most likely far above most of the country, but it looks like as the ford hybrid goes, we are just like everyone else.

4. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a\";p=\"52408)</div>
    John -- you reall must stop tormenting the people over on the escape forum. I feel badly towards them for sending you over in the first place!

Most reviews of the Escape comment on the fact that the reviewer can't tell when the engine comes on and turns off.

Most of the owners over there can tell when their engines do come on or go off.

Guess what... most Prius owners can tell when the engine goes on or off too, because we're familiar with our cars the same way the Escape Hybrid owners are familiar with theirs.

You read too much into their chatter.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just 4 months from now, the media blitz about the Lexus 400h will begin. It will be the newest and most powerful and most luxurious hybrid to date. Then just 2 to 3 months later, Highlander-Hybrid will become the hot hybrid. It is guaranteed to distract attention away from Escape-Hybrid, being direct competition among traditional models already and the fact that it uses the already well-established HSD system.

To further complicate matters, Camry-Hybrid will come out the following year... which just happens to use the same system that the second hybrid version of Highlander could use. That would be the first ever hybrid vehicle to offer two different configurations, one optimized for power and one optimized for efficiency.

Simply ignoring Escape-Hybrid wouldn't be appropriate. The system really does deliver, unlike some other hybrids. That is putting a handful of the traditional owners in an awkward position. Their prized vehicle just got even better, but they don't own one. So don't let their comments bother you. In other words, no need for personal comment. Just stick to the purpose of the hybrid system.

6. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a\";p=\"52466)</div>
    Did you even read what I wrote? About both Prius and Escape owners noticing when their engines come on? Any of it?

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Stick to the purpose of the hybrid system.

8. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a\";p=\"52486)</div>
    That's why you've stirred up a bit of resentment over there. You make these sweeping statements which aren't necessarily true (and in a lot of cases, are blatantly untrue) and when they call you on them, you go off on these weird tangents which have nothing to do with the subject at hand.

I'll ask again, did you read my first message, the part about both Prius and Escape owners "knowing" when their engine comes on because of their familiarity with the car, and the part where Escape reviewers (in newspapers and magazines) can't tell at all?

9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The point was and still is: Despite the differences in design, their system delivers as promised.

In other words, Ford did a very good job and the owners of Escape-Hybrid should be welcomed to our family.

10. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a\";p=\"52566)</div>
    Great, right. Lovely. I'm not saying there are differences in design, but I'm saying they're NOT what you're saying they are. I see observations from FE owners on how hard it is to keep the car in stealth, just like Prius owners. The car does *NOT* seem to operate as you described in the first message based on owner comments.

And while it is lacking Electric A/C, a glaring omission IMO, it is a much more compact and well thought out design than HSD. I don't think they'll have any worries with the RX400 and Highlanders.

11. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Perhaps I should point out that my observations were a consolidation of several forums, boards, articles, and a few misc other online sources (webpages) that I could find.

That solitary source you point out is quite distorted too. Don't forget the example that was provided was quite intentional, a diliberate act to prepare the new owners for constructive discussions. And clearly, it worked. You recited the summary.

12. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a\";p=\"52584)</div>
    John -- Stop freakin assuming! Perhaps *I* shiould point out that my observations were probably based on the same sources yours were. This is why you're not very popular over there. You assume too much and make these baseless statements.

Stop spreading misinformation(at best) about the escape hybrid.

13. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Were it to come to a popularity contest between john1701a and Jonnycat26, in my not so humble opinion, john1701a would win hands down.

14. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius\";p=\"52639)</div>
    Fantastic. Unfortunately, this isn't a popularity contest.

This is about the spread of misinformation. This is about going into the community of another hybrid and annoying the hell out of them. I'm responsible for that, since I gave John the link. I'm trying to get him to scale it down a notch and *not* annoy them so much, and stop him from spreading incorrect assumptions. Tell me, is that really so bad?

15. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

I vote for Jonnycat26. :mrgreen:

16. jchu

jchu New Member

And I vote for Danny... Now lets everyone move on!

17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There is one person over there that feels quite displaced, having me step in out of nowhere armed with a mountain of real-world hybrid information. Making him share his long-established spotlight is annoying... to him, a traditional vehicle owner that isn't currently interested in purchasing a hybrid.

The hybrid owners have welcomed me. They are aware of the anti-hybrid potential. They want to establish a strong presence for their hybrid. They share the same excitement about MPG. Heck, they now even heavily use the word I introduced them to: "Stealth". And just look at how they have recently begun sharing summarized experiences with their hybrids so far. They now have an active dialog established. Stimulating the initial discussions worked well.

Present facts. Recite observations. Provide quotes. Anything data related is fine. Just don't make it personal and let people draw their own conclusions.

Keep the purpose in mind too.

18. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    John...

All I will say is this, then if you want to continue, please email me. There's no need for this to continue here. And to be honest, I don't know how I can get through to you.

Look at what you've stirred up over there. Look at how many people jumped on you over the bladder issue. Now go over to the other prius forum, and read about an *actual* escape hybrid owner's experience. When I asked if the car stayed in EV mode as much as possible, which was the original point of this thread, he said it did not. As did those posters. You've taken the information that ONE poster provided, and gone off and made this huge leap in logic.

You need to think about what you're doing over there. You're stepping in to an established community over there and some people aren't going to be happy about that. The fact that you're making gross assumptions about their cars (bladder again) and presenting it as fact is for sure going to annoy those people who have the tech manuals and point out you're wrong. And when you refused to admit to them that you were mistaken, you made yourself a very questionable figure.

19. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Goodbye. You are now ignored, so no further posts will be visible.

Continuing to drop bait will not work. The members here are well aware of the slander you have attempted, which I choose to disregard by sticking to the purpose.

So my parting advice is (again), don't draw conclusions for others. The data will speak for itself.

20. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    John, you really need to work on your people/communication skills. You have a great talent for rubbing people up the wrong way.

Although I respect the work you've put into your Prius web site, your slightly surreal sermonising does get rather annoying. And that's just on the Prius forums. I bet it doesn't go down well on an Escape forum.