1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Escape hybrid sighting

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by 8AA, Apr 10, 2005.

1. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I was in a parking lot today, and I heard the distintive whine of a Prius in EV mode. I turned to look and it was actually an Escape hybrid. I imagine that the owner enjoys EV mode as much as I do.

2. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I imagine it would give one a small shock -- having expected to see a Prius, and seeings something larger.

(Hearing the EV whine, looking up and seeing a Humvee -- now, that would give me a heart attack.)

Glad to hear that Escape drivers enjoy the "stealthing" too.

3. kjb516

kjb516 New Member

I finally spotted my first Escape Hybrid parked in downtown Portland last weekend. I tried loitering around it as long as I could waiting to speak with its owner until my wife lost all patience with me.

I also noticed that impact Toyota's increase in Prius production must be making a major impact as I spotted Prii EVERYWHERE! What a difference from just a few short months ago.

4. bookrats

bookrats New Member

You said it, Ken. Driving in North Seattle, it seems like every 30th car is a Prius. (If you count the Prius Classic.)

5. kjb516

kjb516 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bookrats\";p=\"80991)</div>
    I've also been noticing far more hybrid Civics during my daily commute lately. It almost seems that every fourth Civic I see in town is a hybrid (perhaps this is just my exaggeration).

Has anyone seen any reports of Honda increasing production of this hybrid lately? I was under the understanding that Honda's sales of the Civic hybrid were fairly low. Perhaps this is a local phenomenon?

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, most of the HCHs in my town come with some sort of advertisement saying that it's a hybrid :roll: go figure. They're mostly company cars as they also have the company name painted on. I guess they want to get in but know that the HCH isn't easily recognisable so they have to paint it in bright sceneries to attract attention

7. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    While standing out on the street this evening talking to a neighbor, I saw my first Ford Escape Hybrid in the wild!

As it was rounding the corner, I noticed the whiney electric motor sound - otherwise it would have been just another car.

I waved, and since the window was down, I said to the driver “nice hybrid.†The driver waved back and had one of those familiar shit eating, all knowing, smug grins on his face. Good for him. Nice car.

I have a friend who works in the warranty department of a Ford dealership. This evening he told me that his dealership has yet to have a hybrid come back for warranty work, just oil changes. Nice car!

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Eh?

Escape-Hybrid was awarded the title of "North American TRUCK of the Year".

9. kjb516

kjb516 New Member

Depressingly, I spotted my second hybrid Escape in the wild a few days ago on my rush hour commute home.

Depressing because when I pulled up next to this woman on the crowded highway, I noticed that she had a cell phone in one hand (doing something else (?) with the other hand) while wandering from one side of the lane (and more) to the other. :cussing:

While trying to give her the benefit of the doubt (yes, I occasionally use the cell phone while driving), she continued for the next few miles like this, even hanging up and making yet another call before nearly clipping the barrier while barely making her exit from the highway.

10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yesterday, I almost got run down by another Prius!

It took the driver about 2 minutes to realize there was another Silver HSD Prius right by her. I started at the corner and quickly pulled in behind, passed at the stoplight, then cruised ahead... where she finally noticed and speeded up to get on my side. Only problem was, her lane ended and she should have been merging behind me at that point.

So I punched it.

Then I realized what that may have looked like to someone on the side of the street. She was in front, then me, then she sped up, then I surpassed that. It may have appeared as though our 2 Prius were racing. Oops!