1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Estimated Annual Fuel Cost

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by john1701a, Feb 24, 2007.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In the past, all we got was a mysterious dollar value... without any clue how it was derived. Now (starting for 2008 models) that calculation method is actually shown. Yeah! It's about dang time.

The new window-sticker clearly indicates that a distance of 15,000 miles is used at a price of $2.80 per gallon. That's pretty nice... and rather compelling. Why that price?

Years ago, a value of $2.00 per gallon as a standard future measurement was mocked. Few took such a seemingly "high" price seriously. But now that we have actually experienced $3.00 per gallon briefly, the $2.00 is finally accepted as unrealistic. That still leaves you wondering though.

Where did $2.80 come from?

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Feb 24 2007, 09:37 AM) [snapback]395853[/snapback]</div>
    California. :D

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Dick Cheney's Halliburton.

4. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So, according to this fueleconomy.gov calculator . . .
    http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculator.html
    . . . if your car (tank) gets 5 MPG in the City and 8 MPG - (or less) - on the highway, your mileage under the new test will be the same.

Part of the source code for the calculator:
    Code:
    <script TYPE="text/javascript">
    <!-- 
    function round(number, decplaces){
    return (Math.round(number*Math.pow(10,decplaces)))/Math.pow(10,decplaces)
    }
    function calculateMpg(){
    var cityIntercept = 0.003259
    var citySlope = 1.1805
    var highwayIntercept = 0.001376
    var highwaySlope = 1.3466

}else{
    var oldCity = parseInt(document.calculator.cityOld.value)    

var oldHighway =parseInt(document.calculator.highwayOld.value)

var newCity = Math.round(1/(cityIntercept + (citySlope/round((oldCity/.9),1))));

var newHighway = Math.round(1/(highwayIntercept + (highwaySlope/round((oldHighway/.78),1))));

document.calculator.cityNew.value=newCity;
    document.calculator.highwayNew.value=newHighway; 
    So, is the code designed to say, “if your car sucked under the old test, it now gets just a little less mileage under the new test - BUT, if your car didn’t suck under the old test, it sucks now!†<_<

How can they generalize ALL cars and trucks? This doesn’t even take into account aerodynamics. :huh:

5. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Guys,

What concerns me most is the Annual Estimated Fuel Cost seems to be ignored by the media (and probably by many salesmen). USA Today harps on Prius getting the biggest mpg hit on the new estimates....in dollars and cents wouln't it be the who gets the worst jump in the Annual Estimated Fuel Cost?

I'd bet Prius will look best or near best if you compare the hit on Annual Estimated Fuel Cost.

6. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Feb 24 2007, 05:56 PM) [snapback]395991[/snapback]</div>
    Anyone do that conversion calculator on the next page! its pretty realistic now! I like it, The new estimated MPG for the Prius is a lot closer to what all of us are actually seeing.

[attachmentid=6684]

Attached Files:

7. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

That was online on Friday and a friend of mine pointed out how the mpg of the 2008 prius was going down so much.

It strained my brain a bit to comprehend that he was completely missing the concept here. The actual mpg of the cars is not changing, only some number on a sticker that doesn't apply to real life in it's before state or in it's new state.

Anyhow, he didn't get it. Our car mpg's acrosss the board are going down in 2008 and they should be getting better.

Only thing different for me, is I used to be getting 51mpg in a car that should get 55 avg.. now I'll be getting 51 in a car that's supposed to average 46.

Same car both cases.

8. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    All the same to me. My Rav4EV still gets zero MPG. And I couldn't be happier. :)

9. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Feb 24 2007, 08:28 PM) [snapback]396055[/snapback]</div>
    I always thought it got many miles per zero gallons. Or does it's equivalent of the MFD say 0 mpg?

Dave M.

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Feb 24 2007, 09:37 AM) [snapback]395853[/snapback]</div>
    Regarding the California response.... you're lucky gas is much cheaper where you're at per http://www.fuelgaugereport.com/sbsavg.asp. Looks like it's $2.346 statewide in MN vs. $2.769 in CA. In San Jose, where I live, the avg. for regular is $2.836 now.