1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Estimated Cost of Ownership

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kandt01, Oct 20, 2020.

1. kandt01

kandt01 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello everyone,

Thank you in advance to all who take a look and/or contribute an answer.

I own a 2008 Prius with 126k miles on it. In the past 8 months or so I have spent about $1,000 on maintenance and repair mostly on what I'm sure was overpriced parts and labor to first diagnose an issue and then eventually replace the inverter coolant pump. The shop I go to today told me that I need a new engine water pump and belt, and after doing some shopping around I see that will cost about $550 in parts and labor to replace those along with the engine thermostat.

I have a tiny bit of experience working on my first car, a 2002 Camry, but I live in an apartment with a tiny garage space and absolutely nowhere to work on the vehicle. Even if I was comfortable with my ability to complete the repair, I do not have the tools or space to attempt it. Spending $1,500 in a year on an almost 13 year old vehicle has made me consider alternatives -- at that price, I'm almost in a lease on a much newer, more reliable, safer car, that will also be much less of a headache to drive.

I am hoping that the experienced users here could cobble together a short list of things that I can expect to have to do to the car over the next three years / 30k miles. I'm trying to determine if it's worth it for me to keep dumping money into this vehicle which I figure right now can about cover a lease deposit. Right now the hybrid battery is in acceptable condition as far as I can tell, but at this age and mileage I am increasingly worried about the cost of replacement. I don't really know what else I can expect to replace or should have already replaced.

Thank you!

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your creeping up on a failed hybrid battery especially if you let the car sit during these covid days. Try to drive it every day that will keep the 12 volt charged and the hybrid battery charged.
    Peruse the G2 forums there dropping like crazy.

Since you have no place to diy your looking at increasing expense on this car, if forced to use the dealer that’s $150 an hour.
    it’s just old and will nickel and dime you to death. The hybrid battery is a PIA and also there’s another very expensive repair the brake abs module
    We are seeing quite often, that’s about $3000.

Sell the car now get a regular engine only car.

Good luck.

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm curious as to what the shop is using as justification for wanting to replace the engine water pump. I've seen many Gen 2 Prii that have very minor dry pink residue on the inside of the water pump pulley. My recommendation to all those owners was to look at it each time they check the oil. If they start seeing it wet, instead of dry, or start needing to add coolant, then they can start planning for a replacement. Until then, roll with it and just keep an eye on it. If you have dry residue, I would tell them thanks, but no thanks.

SFO likes this.
  4. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A lot really depends on what’s already been done and what hasn’t. You may need new spark plugs, new brakes, new tires, a new 12v battery, etc. Or you may need none of those things if the previous owner took care of them. One thing I would strongly recommend is a catalytic converter shield. I recently got one after my catalytic converter was stolen twice over the summer. They cost as much as an HV battery to replace, so be careful yours doesn’t walk away.

5. kandt01

kandt01 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks everyone!

The shop recommended replacing the pump on the basis of hearing a noise that they attributed to the pump, but I don't hear anything. I expect to hear something obviously wrong if the pump were going bad -- is that the case? The belt looks perfectly fine to me, no cracks or visible wear to my eye. There is a bit of white dusty residue around the pump area, but it's definitely not fresh and we haven't had to add coolant.

We have recently had the 12V battery and all four tires replaced and I was capable of putting fresh spark plugs in recently at least. I was hoping that would be the end of it for at least another ~30k miles or so with any luck. We are lucky enough to park in a closed garage so I'm not worried about theft, but that is good to know should that change. The brakes were the next thing I expected to need some attention, but the shops keep saying they are good enough for the time being.