1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ethanol Energy Balance just got better

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tripp, Nov 2, 2006.

1. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    For those of you following the developing ethanol industry this is an interesting bit:

Plant begins production in december of this year.

This is a great development because the plant uses no fossil fuel input to run its operations. Sadly, it does rely on the feed lot concept but it is an improvement none-the-less.

2. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Nov 2 2006, 06:26 PM) [snapback]342967[/snapback]</div>
    Wouldn't it be more efficient if somebody could just invent a car that runs on cow-sh@%. :lol:

3. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Nov 2 2006, 10:23 PM) [snapback]343034[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, but think of the emissions man! Talk about particulates. :lol:

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Nov 3 2006, 01:23 AM) [snapback]343034[/snapback]</div>
    Bullsh!t would be better. Then we could harness out-of-work Republicans.

5. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Nov 3 2006, 10:07 AM) [snapback]343276[/snapback]</div>
    Now now... replace 'Republican' with 'politician' and you've got a deal.

6. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Nov 2 2006, 06:26 PM) [snapback]342967[/snapback]</div>

That's what I like to see. Ingenuity! I wish politicians would stop taking bribes from the establishment and do more to support better technologies from up and comers like this.

Here is another neat thing I stumbled upon today. It's typical. I hope the technology gets used some day. U of M researchers invent 'flashy' new process to turn soy oil, glucose into hydrogen

Campaign finance reform is so badly needed. Things are getting better in Canada in that department but still our politicians seem to want to bend over backwards for big oil.

7. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Nov 3 2006, 09:43 AM) [snapback]343300[/snapback]</div>
    Good addition Tripp. I may not agree with you on everything, but the more I read, the more I like!

8. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Oh, I'm no fan of the democrats. I'm a staunch independant. Don't like political parties... too much group think. I prefer a centrist approach to most things. I occasionally go left or right on issues... left on environment and right on gun control, for example... but the best solutions to problems generally require balance... something that politicians in this country seem to have forgotten. It's all about compromise.

9. Rmutzabaugh

Rmutzabaugh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    This information has to be passed around. Be nice if this can be done with Chicken / Pig manure too. Wouldn't it be great if the new housing developement would hug the Farmer for the source of fuel, instead of taking the farmers to court about the smell. Then again here in Penna. new ethanol plants have been stopped due to the "NOT IN MY BACK YARD" mentality. All along, while these people are driving their big SUV's. So now again the companies will build overseas and we will still be dependant on foreign fuel.

10. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The odor removal can be accomplished with anaerobic digesters, which can be coupled with micro-turbines to produce electricity. I believe that these devices are getting cost competitive and when you throw in the deodorizer, water quality issues, and the fact that remaining material is a good fertilizer it seems like more and more farmers will want to have these things as part of their operations. I'd say that states should make small grants available to help out with the acquisition/setup of such systems because everyone benefits from them in a variety of ways.