1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ethanol issues

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by dmjatl, Jun 13, 2013.

1. dmjatl

dmjatl New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm new to this forum. My mileage had been going down; and about a week ago, my check engine light came on. I took the car to get serviced at my Toyota dealer and was told that my gas had too much ethanol in it. I almost always use the gas at Sam's club. I haven't driven enough to need to refill yet, and my milage is continuing to go down. The engine also revs before it goes off at a red light and yesterday, at times, would not even go off when I stopped. Can anyone tell me if there is a particular station whose gas helps resolve this problem?
    Thanks.

2. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Are you buying mid-grade or premium?

These grades have more ethanol in them, since ethanol is an octane booster.

These grades sell less, so they stay in the ground tanks longer. The longer they stay in the ground; the more moisture from absorbing water vapor the gasoline collects.

Buy "regular." It is likely to have less ethanol in it. It has a higher turnaround rate, which means that it stays in the tank for a shorter time. Thus, it has less time to collect water.

3. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Did you accidentally fuel up with E85? It's not recommended. Most available grades of gasoline should run fine, regular being best as Rude person's says.

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome aboard. I'd be curious to know what state you are in. This is an unusual diagnosis. 10% ethanol is pretty much standard, and hard to believe you could get more than this. But there is such thing as Top Tier gasoline. Here you are talking major brands that meet certain standards: your Shells, Chevrons, Exxons, BP etc. You can google Top Tier gasoline to find the details. Some states may offer 15% ethanol and 85% ethanol, so check your pump to see what you are getting. Some states you can get 0% ethanol, but your car does not need it. Most of us use the standard 10% ethanol with no probs.

5. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The motor always revs up a tiny bit before it turns itself off at a stop. If it doesn't turn off it means it is charging the battery's. Prius run fine on E50 blends with no codes. Did you buy it used and someone else filled it with a full tank of E85? The only code it will set running straight E85 is a lean burn cold startup code. It will run fine otherwise. The mpg's on straight E85 will only be down 4 mpg from running regular E10 87 octane.

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Although there are some dealerships that operate unethically, I give most the benefit of the doubt. This being said, I'm curious to who they knew the fuel mixture had a higher than recommended percentage of ethanol. Something doesn't sound right. Is your vehicle still under warranty?

7. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wonder if the mechanic measured the fuel's specific gravity to determine the Ethanol content?

If it is indeed full of E85, just drive it and when you get down to 3/4 tank, top it off with 87 octane and the light will go off in a few start/shut down cycles.

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

8. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Distributors, NOT refiners, put in ethanol, after they tap their gasoline from the pipeline.

The distributor has to put in a certain amount to premium and mid-grades first, because they have to make the gasoline meet octane ratings.

What's left over, goes in regular. If there is a big order for E85, the amount of available ethanol is less. In that case, there may not be any ethanol in regular gasoline.

9. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not to exceed 10% (at least here) unless you buy ethanol.

10. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Ethanol provides less energy per the equivalent liquid volume than gasoline.

Varying from zero to 10 per cent means that you will see a variation of MPG from one fill up to another.

11. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    True for variations in mpg, however "up to 10%" will not throw a code or manifest the other described engine symptoms by itself.

12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Do you know the actual code that was thrown? Did the engine-light return after the computerwas reset?

Many years ago, some new Prius would have an excess of a sealant that would trigger the engine-light as it was burning off.

As for the behavior of the engine, that interpretation could simply be the new owner experience, when you aren't certain what should actually happen. After all, the criteria for what happens when is quite complex.