1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ETHANOL verification

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by mahout, Sep 30, 2013.

1. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    My usual gas station owner is a good acquaintance and recently he advised me to get gas because his current delivery did not have ethanol content. Sure enough mpg jumped from 48 mpg to 51 mpg. The next tank showed 48 mpg as usual.

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Alky-haul is a pretty hot topic in this part of the world.....after all there are still dry counties in these parts! :)
    Some of our local gas stations have big honkin' signs saying that they sell "REAL GAS!"....usually at a "real profit!"

I noticed last week that one of our mom and pops actually has a pump that sells E0-87, E10-87, or E10-91...depending on your preference. The price diff is 9 cents a gallon, and I was on my bike so I just got normal gas.
    When I first got Goofy and I was in my hypermiling phase (fall/winter 2010) I tried to quantify a difference between E0 and E10. Since I don't pay for the gas in my (company) G3 there's no incentive either way to get E0 or E10.
    I didn't see much of a difference frankly.
    The (air quotes) "experts" say that there is a 3-percent delta in energy content of E10 versus E0, which is probably correct which means that there would be a similar delta in mileages for a car.
    If you get 50mpg then that's going to be about 1.5 MPG.

Since the OP didn't have to pay a surcharge for the E0, then I'd say that they got a good deal! :)

YMMV!

3. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    As soon as I noti ced the mpg was real I should have hauled the 30 gal race gas tank down an filled at 3.34/gal but alas I didn't. Here gas may have up to 10% ethanol but occasionally stations get variations down to zero ethanol.
    Before we got back to using ethanol contaminated fuel we checked timing, even air gfilter fior hole (speaking of which anybody know where you can get prissy air filters aftermarket >?C but didn't find anything different from OEM. BTW we're now on seconf tank since the jump and still getting 48 mpg.

4. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    When Oregon made E10 87, the gas for our state regular fuel. I saw a dramatic change in mpg of the 96 dodge caravan I was driving. my mpg went from 18 to 15 in town.:eek: for that car it would be better to just get 10% less fuel!

for our suburban our mpg didn't change it stayed at 14 in town. still bad mpg but compaired to our minivan it seemed pretty good.:unsure:

In our state I can get premium E10 91 or straight gas 91 at a few select places. I dont think I want to pay for it I think it is like an extra .80 to $1 gal. that is like 25% more so I would need to get like an extra 15 mpg.:rolleyes: that would make my mpg like 75mpg :rolleyes: I could be a superstar with an average like that.