1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EU specs for: Prius Prime, Ioniq Plug-in, and Golf GTE

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by bwilson4web, Oct 1, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Near as I can tell, it appears these three models, Prime, Ioniq plug-in, Golf GTE, have arrived in the EU and should have gone through the new, standard testing protocol. Is there a definitive source we can find the numbers for these car using the same EU tests?

The reason I ask is it appears these cars may be performance competitors but their performance metrics are not available from www.fueleconomy.gov. Still, there may be a definitive source for EU car metrics, something similar to our EPA web site, with these three models. Any recommended URLs?

Bob Wilson

2. Ferrarilover

Ferrarilover Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They re all available in the UK and I have looked at them as options but have settled on a Prius. Just needed to decide against regular or plug in.

I haven’t seen anything about them going through the new emissions testing.

Is there anything you’re after in particular?

iPhone ?

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I would like to fill out this table (please assume standard units):
    metric Ioniq plug-in Prius Prime GTE plug-in
    1 EV range
    2 Total range
    3 battery kWh
    4 engine kWh
    5 transmission type dual clutch eCVT dual clutch
    6 0-100 kph
    7 empty weight
    8 maximum weight
    9 seats 5 4 5
    10 passenge volume
    11 luggage volume
    12 EU tow rating
    13 MSRP price
    14 collision avoidance opt std opt
    15 dynamic cruise control opt std opt

I'm open to other metrics but this is a good place to start. I really see these as three cars in the same performance group.

BTW, I've found the Prius Prime plug-in performance on gas, 56 MPG, has been under rated by the USA EPA, 54 MPG. Also the EPA reported EV range, 25 miles, is low too. In effect, we're seeing much better performance than expected from EPA.

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

4. Ferrarilover

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For the golf... 7.6sec 0-60, 6 speed DSG, 166.2 mpg (uk).

iPhone ?

5. Ferrarilover

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  6. offib

offib Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Does anyone know what'll happen when the DCTs burn out and need new clutches? Maybe it won't happen as much to hybrids, but for dual clutches in VWs, Audis, Hyundais and the likes, I've been told that they experience worse wear and higher fail rates than manual clutches. Everyone crawls in stop and start traffic in those things, which is the worst thing to do to them. The clutch replacement in these seem positively painful. So that type of gearbox alone is a deal breaker for me.

Oh yeah, and I saw a ''Prius Plug-in Hybrid'' in Dublin 2 weeks ago. The back is mad looking, I love it.
    Just a shame that it's €37,125 after the government grant. ... which is awful.
    With the €5000 grant applied to all, the Ioniq EV is over €9,000 cheaper with the grant, the Zoe 40kWh is €10,000 below it, while the new LEAF will be €15,000 cheaper... Even if the PiP's price can best the Golf GTE or the cheaper A3 e-tron, anyone with that kind of money wouldn't find it painful to stretch their money far from getting themselves much more competitive plug-ins like BMW i3, 330e or Outlander PHEV.

The Prim-err ahhh- uum PiP looks no where near as attractive as it does stateside. :(

7. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, all of these cars launched before September 2017, so they're not required to be certified to the WLTP+RDE regime.

And, the European Prius PHV is set up rather differently from the US Prius Prime - think more like a PiP in tuning, as I understand. The test cycle and efficiency reporting is different, so Toyota probably benefits from doing it this way in Europe, somehow.

8. RonMc5

RonMc5 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    PHV or HV. I just refilled my tank after 51 days and 818 miles. 313 of the were all electric, mostly for shopping trips around town. If you do a lot of local travel, PHV is the way to go. If you ONLY do local travel, how about an EV. If you live in a hilly area (I do) the larger battery pack will absorb more energy going back down hills. My 2007 with a smaller pack would be fully charge less than 1/2 way down the hills, wasting 1/2 of the potential energy I gained climbing the hill in the 1st place. If you live in a flat area, you only need to think about the local travel part. Note: I traded in my 2016 Prius Touring 4 for the Prime for the hilly question. The local travel part was a nice bonus. Since I got the car last November I only fill up every couple of months. (except for a 2600 mile trip I took)

offib and bwilson4web like this.
  9. Ferrarilover

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am going to get the plug in Prime. I think I can do 600 of my 700 miles per month on electric only.

iPhone ?

bwilson4web likes this.