1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Eulogy to a pet (warning: sad)

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Oct 23, 2012.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Kiwi dog:
    [​IMG]
    Our first dog, 10 years old, here she is checking out what is going on outside our 2003 Prius . . . looking for squirrels, rabbits, and lost dogs.

When my wife recently spent 60 days in a physical therapy center, Kiwi was there:
    [​IMG]
    It is impossible to over-state the critical role Kiwi and our second dog, Bambi played in Holly's recovery. Often confused, Holly always looked forward to seeing and being with her dogs . . . Kiwi in particular . . . her first and favorite as well as Bambi, our Reindeer Chihauhua. Bambi cuddles more but Kiwi always made her smile. So 10 days ago, my wife came home again, the woman I met and loved for 35 years (and she still like this old dog too.)

But a year ago, Kiwi had gotten fat and developed diabetes. A couple of stays with the vet, and I was giving her 10 units, twice a day and her weight came down. But a week ago, she lost her energy, stopped eating, and vomited after drinking. We took her to the vet on Monday but she didn't get better. So Wednesday, I took her to the Regional Vet Hospital:
    [​IMG]
    Her belly was distended and she was barely able to walk. The xrays showed accumulated fluid in her stomach, a lack of shadow detail in the intestines, and fecal mass in her big colin. Her blood tests were all over the map. Thanks to their intensive care, we visited her Saturday night and Kiwi was so happy to be held by Holly and nuzzle with me. But as we were getting ready to leave, she was softly vocalizing like I had never heard before.

Sunday evening Kiwi was lethargic and barely recognized me. She had drunk some water and her belly was starting to distend again. Something was blocking the passage from her stomach to small intestine. Monday, surgery found a tumor-mass in her pancreas and necrosis. This is what led to her diabetes and why I asked the vet to let her go.

On the way home, I stopped by the Huntsville Animal shelter and adopted another, year old, smaller Chihauhua whom my wife will see on Wednesday:[​IMG]
    Holly will name him after the vet is done and we'll be back to a two-dog family.

It is getting hard to type with tears in your eyes and nose running so I'll close for now.

Bob Wilson

KK6PD likes this.
  2. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sounds like Kiwi was a really great dog and member of the family. Earlier this month, I was with a friend of mine who had just lost her dog to cancer. While he was over 10 years old, he looked great, so his death caught everyone by surprise. It is always very sad when a family dog dies. :cry:

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sorry to hear about Kiwi Bob. Putting a dog (aka a family member) down is always a tough thing to do. We just put down my daughter's 7 year old that we helped raise.

Hope your wife quickly gets attached to the new dog.

Blessings and prayers.

4. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm sorry about your loss.

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to hear your sad news about Kiwi. Losing a pet is always tough, I know. Take care, Bob.

6. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had to read it, despite your kind warning that it would be sad. We have been through it many times, and it never gets any easier. I dread the day the little guy in the picture has to go. He is 13 now, and we have noticed he's a bit slower and losing his hearing, etc. I think you just have to concentrate on remembering the love and joy each pet has brought to you and know that the kind thing to do is to let them go when it is time, so that they don't suffer needlessly. And it is a good thing that you do in adopting a dog that needs a home. May you all have many years together.

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bob,
    I'm sorry about your loss!!
    Prayers sent.

I was going to give you the BTDT line.....but I haven't....and didn't.
    My wife and I buried our (her) Chi under similar circumstances, but that's not the same.
    All I can say is that I'm sorry about Kiwi, and I'm glad that you were able to get adopted by another pooch---especially a shelter dog.

Hang in there!

8. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Having lost 2 of our cats recently, I know that feeling of loss. My condolences, and getting another pal,or 2, was what we chose also, They make life just a wee bit brighter!

9. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry for your loss. Having been through this I can empathize. It's never easy but it is worth it. Thank you for saving a rescued dog IMO it is the only way to go.

10. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Rip kiwi. My wife and I lost a cat recently that played a similar role, I feel for ya. They become part of the family and its always sad to see them go after they have spent their lives loving you unquestionably.

11. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bob,

So sorry to hear about losing Kiwi. I feel for you and your family as my wife and i had to put to sleep 2 of our dogs within the past year. We adopted to new dogs from the shelter and they are adjusting well.

Allow yourself to grieve, cry, hug, and talk with your family about the loss. Try not to be hard on yourself and with the passage of time, things will start to get better.

It is never easy to put a beloved pet (family member) to sleep. However you are a warm, compassionite person and gave Kiwi a wonderful life. She will always remember that in her heart and forever thanks you and your family for nuturing environment that you have given her.

I want to thank you for sharing your loss with us, for it means a lot for you to express your loss to others on this forum.

Be kind and patience with yourself and enjoy the new addition in the house.

Peace,

DBCassidy