1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

European 16" wheels

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by larkinmj, May 10, 2006.

1. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

I've noticed that on all the European Prius websites, the cars are shown with a very nice 7-spoke alloy wheel. According to the European Toyota website, the cars have 195/55R16 tires (or tyres, as they call them ) :) The cars in Japan seem to have the same wheel. Apparently, only cars in the US and Canada have P185/65R15 tires on the wheels with the infamous "trim rings." Is that tire/wheel combination available here (I'm sure you can something comparable aftermarket), and why were we singled out for the "special wheels"?

2. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't answer your main question, but for what it's worth, cheaper models in Japan and Australia come with the 15" wheels the US gets. All European cars get the 16" wheels.

It may be something to do with Americans preferring a softer ride - higher profile tyres will help with that.

3. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 10 2006, 10:56 AM) [snapback]252753[/snapback]</div>
    The Euro wheels also have a plastic trim on them. Without the trim I think they are even more ugly than the N.A. 15" wheels...

http://priuschat.com/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=1830

These still have the protective plastic wrap on them but you can get the idea...

4. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sigma has JDM TOURING selection 16" Wheels for $1449.

Sigma

8th row down 2nd column.