1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

European AND American License Plate Holder

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by xlarimer, Jul 23, 2006.

1. xlarimer

xlarimer New Member

Since I got the new Prius and I am dreading putting on the CA stickers again, it got me prompting what I want to do with this one to make them less BAD looking to my nice pretty clean car.

[BTW, I take off all the toyota emblems (except the oval triple T symbol on the back and front) so that it makes it cleaner and easier on the eye.]

Well, since the CA DOT has decided that we have to mar our otherwise nicely designed on the outside cars with yellow hazard stickers, I thought it would be good of me to do some civil disobedience. I want to get a blank european license plate and stick it behind the American license plate so you have two ends to it. Then I want to split the Yellow stickers in half and put them on both sides of the license plate so ... in effect, the sticker IS there and it is where I FIRMLY believe it should be in the first place. It's tied to the license plate ... Why Does CA DOT not have a special license plate for us??? Grrrr.

Then I would magnetize the back of the side stickers and slap them on when I feel the need to be in compliance with the side sticker mandate.

Anyone else thought of this? ... How/where do I pick up a "hybrid" license plate holder?

Thanks PC people.

2. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xlarimer @ Jul 23 2006, 01:45 PM) [snapback]291083[/snapback]</div>
    I would email Edward at Sigma email and ask him.

Just keep in mind that if the stickers are not in the specified location you can get a ticket. Ordinarily they probably will not care all that much if the location is off by a little. But by cutting the sticker in half, you do void it and will probably get some already nasty CHP officer a little more upset.

The reason they want them where they want them is so that the CHP can see them when they hang out in the fast lane waiting for violators to move past them. If it was only on the plate, they would have to wait for you to go past them, and then quickly look at your plate. If another vehicle was following closely behind you, it would be hard for them to see the plate area...hence the placements on the bumper where they can more easily see it.

I know the stickers takes a little while to get used to. But this is not a "mandatory" sticker...it is a "priviledge" that we are able to obtain these...so we have to wear them with honor (and stick our tongues out as we pass all of the slow moving cars)!

3. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, I generally agree with Mssmith95 - I too took all of my emblems off except the one that is pinned on the front and rear. I hated putting the stickers on but now that they have been on for quite some time have gotten use to them. I put them on perfectly straight and low on the rear bumper and front bumper. They are a priviledge and I am happy to have that ability to use the commute lane alone.

4. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(xlarimer @ Jul 23 2006, 01:45 PM) [snapback]291083[/snapback]</div>
    To start with, there is nothing that says one need put the stickers on the car. A sizeable portion of the non-hybrid community, feeling bad because we got something they'd like, hope you don't mount them. They hate us. Now let's all get together and rub their noses in it.

CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE????? St. Gandhi, pray for us!

If we are such wimps about this and complain about/ignore/scoff at/ or self-modify the requirements and the generous gift that fell into our laps, I think the legislature has a very easy fix to shut us up: just repeal or don't renew the law when it expires.

The Prius isn't the Mona Lisa. It's a funny-looking, but lovable, car. We aren't in the business of transporting a national-treasure art form from one scenic vista to another. I have to display a Fast-Trak transponder, parking stickers, license plates (front and rear) and etchings on my windows, none of these put there for their beauty points. Who, besides a few narcissistic owners, is looking at our cars so critically?

The whole HOV concept is a bit of a joke anyhow. A doctor, on his way to a life-saving operation solo, can't use the lane. A mom with her kid, off to return some shoes at Nordstroms, can. How about a little civil disobedience there? Even if a sympathetic cop lets the doctor roll on, valuable time would still be lost as the explanation was given. And then the next cop would get him/her.

Nothing is free in life. If you want the goodies, pay the price. If you choose to ignore laws, you should be ready and eager, as true civil protestors are, to pay the maximum penalty as a test of an unjust edict. I FIRMLY think a few payments of $276 or whatever it is up to these days, will cause one to reconsider this runaway libertarian philosophy. I'd like to record an officer's response when he is told what parts of the mandate his "guest" wishes to be in compliance with. Think he'll subdivide the fine to match these omissions? Yeah.....

I can't find my duty-magnet, but I've read a number of times that the Prius bodywork is highly unmagnetic. I'll get some of the Ph.D.s in my physics department to check this out.