1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

European Anti-Semitism - Alive and Well?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, May 14, 2007.

1. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What do you make of this? I found it interesting but not surprising.

Here is the link: http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid...icle%2FShowFull

Thirty-nine percent of Europeans believe Jews have too much power in the business world, while 44% think Jews have too much power in international financial markets, according to the results of a survey published by the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) on Monday.

The survey of five European countries - France, Italy, Germany, Spain, and Poland - showed that a large number of Europeans continued to harbor anti-Jewish attitudes, holding on to the classical anti-Semitic canards and conspiracy theories that have haunted Jews through the centuries.

The survey also showed that large portions of the European public continue to believe that Jews still dwell too much on the Holocaust. Overall, 47% of those surveyed thought the statement was "probably true."

In addition, 51% said they believed Jews were more loyal to Israel than to their country and 20% of those surveyed continue to blame Jews for the death of Jesus.

Meanwhile, 25% said that their opinion of Jews was influenced by Israel's actions and of those, 52% said their opinion of Jews was worse as a result of the actions taken by Israel.

Nevertheless, while sympathy for the Palestinians' predicament seemed to persist, strong attitudes against Iran and Hamas were also shown, with a majority believing Iran is developing a nuclear weapon, and most supporting sanctions against Iran.

Fifty-one percent said they believed Iran's nuclear program was being developed for military purposes, and 16% said they thought it was both a weapons program and a nuclear energy program.
    Only 14% believed it was solely for nuclear energy.

Also, a majority identified Hamas as a terrorist organization and supported the European decision not to provide foreign aid to the Palestinian Authority government until Hamas abided by the Quartet's conditions.

Overall, the opinion survey of 2,714 adults - slightly more than 500 in each of the five countries - found an increase in negative attitudes toward Jews or in some instances no change, from its 2005 findings.

In response to the findings, ADL National Director Abraham H. Foxman said: "Millions of Europeans continue to accept a wide range of traditional anti-Semitic stereotypes and conspiracy theories, including the charge that Jews are more loyal to Israel than to their home country. These attitudes help incite and legitimize anti-Semitism, including violence against Jews, and give us great concern."

2. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 14 2007, 12:43 PM) [snapback]441771[/snapback]</div>
    It's not Jews that have too much power. It's ultra rich people that have too much power. Wealth concentration these days is just too concentrated at the top.

3. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ May 14 2007, 02:59 PM) [snapback]441817[/snapback]</div>
    Do Jews have too much wealth then? I do not understand your response.

4. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

These attitudes are unfortunate. But, I know that you are aware, this is hardly a revelation. It is well-known that there are strong anti-Semitic feelings among many Europeans; I've seen a lot of articles about it. The question is- what do you do to counter it?

5. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 14 2007, 03:26 PM) [snapback]441835[/snapback]</div>
    I am affraid that there is nothing to do to counter it. In fact it is getting worse as they try to appease their new and quickly growing immigrant Muslim population - which has tended to be fairly tough to assimilate for them. The fact is that the Europeans have always been good at scape-goating the Jews and they are just going to do it again.

It is impossible to counter something that to people is a normal behavior and belief. I honestly do not doubt that if the Europeans could have another holocaust they would hesitate to open the ovens again - sad but true. I cannot remember the last pro-Israel stance from europe over almost any issue - can you? And the european press is very anti-Israel/Jewish - and I think they hide their anti-semitism behind their anti-Israel bias.

The holocaust could not have happened without the willing particiapation of millions of ordinary european citizens - and trust me - they would hit restart in a heartbeat if they could.

6. Army5339

Army5339 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 14 2007, 03:52 PM) [snapback]441854[/snapback]</div>
    Nevermind that some schools in Europe are beginning to not teach about the Holocaust out of fear of angering the growing Muslim student population, who are taught at home that it is a myth.

War will reach Europe again, probably in my lifetime.

7. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 14 2007, 02:14 PM) [snapback]441827[/snapback]</div>
    No, Jews persay do not have too much power. Rich people have too much power, some of them may be jews, some of them may be mexican, some of them may be native americans. The power is from stems from the wealth. The perception that Jews possess too much wealth or power is just a racist stereotype.

Do you believe Jews have too little, too much or just the right amount of power?

8. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 14 2007, 03:52 PM) [snapback]441854[/snapback]</div>
    Well, does it give you any encouragement that many other people are just the opposite? My mother-in-law is from the Netherlands and came to the US when she was in her 20's. When she was a child during WWII, her family, as in the story of Anne Frank, risked their lives to hide Jews in their house.

9. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I would agree with others here... it's not really the Jews, persay, that people hate, it's the concentration of wealth. And historically Jews have been known for being bankers and such, and getting rather wealthy. It's unfortunate that so many people misdirect their feelings in this manor.

However, i do disagree with you about the holocaust - i don't think there are all that many people in Europe who want to see that happen again. In fact, i would say that most of them were appalled by what happened. You are somewhat correct in that there were millions of willing Europeans involved in the holocaust, however I think it's impossible to say with any certainty that they wanted it to happen. Germany's army was a huge and powerful force, the secret police had everyone terrified. How do you differentiate someone who goes along with the act out of fear, and someone who would be performing the act without that threat?

10. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ May 14 2007, 04:30 PM) [snapback]441892[/snapback]</div>
    I think you are right about most Europeans attitude toward the Holocaust. It is seen as an object of great shame. In Germany (unlike on PriusChat), the Hitler salute, swastika, or anything to do with Nazism is forbidden. People there realize what a shameful event in human history this was. I believe, at least I hope, that those who would deny that the Holocaust happened or who minimize its significance are in the minority.

11. jiepsie

jiepsie New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 14 2007, 07:43 PM) [snapback]441771[/snapback]</div>
    An organization looking for antisemitism to fight is bound to find antisemitism, to justify their own existence. Of course most young people will say "Jews still talk too much about what happened to them in the Holocaust". Not because the Holocaust is not important, not because they're antisemitic. If your spouse talks about his/her dead mother all the time for decades, after a while, it will get to you. That does not mean you don't love him/her or that you think it's not important. It does mean you feel it's time to face current issues, learning from the past but not living in the past.

The survey was crafted for the sole purpose of justifying the headlines on that site. It's easy to design a survey that will get you any outcome you like, by asking the right (or should I say wrong) questions. My response to this post is probably enough to qualify me as antisemitic in their eyes.

12. formerVWdriver

formerVWdriver New Member

Anti-Semitism is growing. Worse, political correctness keeps it from being recognized.

I have a Jewish friend who has devoted all of her spare time to getting Gitmo closed. While there may be an innocent or two mixed up in the detainees there, on the whole, those people want her -- and all Jews (and the rest of us) -- dead. But she sees our government as the enemy she should fear! She works tirelessly to close Gitmo.

As for talking about the Holocaust too much, I recently taught a Protestant children's Sunday school. None of them had ever heard about the Holocaust. (I taught them.) They need to know. All our children need to know.

And as for believing that the Jews killed Jesus, you need to be careful how you interpret the answer to that question. I believe that the Jews and the Roman killed Jesus. But I don't blame either one. I know that if I had been alive at the time and was a Pharisee, that I, too, would have conspired to have him eliminated. The Jews may have been the instruments, but we all killed Jesus. The Jews do not deserve to be singled out or punished for this as we all had a part.

Interestingly, my brother had a college classmate whose father was a WWII veteran and who had amassed a large collection of authentic Nazi paraphanalia. I think he gathered it on the battlefied. These objects were regarded as trophies proclaiming the defeat of the Nazi enemy, like scalps. There is a photo in their college yearbook of the boys surrounded by the Nazi paraphanalia. It was taken in the spirit of big game hunters posing with their dead lions, rhinos, whatever. They were young men proud of their fathers' victory in war over a terrible enemy. Decades later, the press picked up this photo and ran it, calling those in the pictures Neo-Nazis. Nothing could be further than the truth. I think it was an attempt to ruin some careers, but it didn't work.

We seem to have trouble understanding who our real enemies are. It is not the Jews. They may be the first target. The rest of us are next.

13. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 14 2007, 04:08 PM) [snapback]441869[/snapback]</div>
    There were a number of europeans, especially from that area that did risk life and limb and saved thousands of Jews from slaughter. My father is on a Board of Directors of a Charity that doantes a significant amount of money to citizens from that area every year as a thank you and in appreciation of their heroic deeds - a lot of it goes to furthering educational desires of kids and young adults.

Unfortunately, those that came to our aid were the minority of europeans. I am not saying that all europeans are anti-semitic - probably more are than are not - but whatever the true % is, it is not insignificant and given the freshness of the Holocaust it is very disturbing - and insightful.

14. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 15 2007, 09:52 AM) [snapback]442365[/snapback]</div>
    One of the most powerful tools is education. We plan on taking our kids to Washington this year, and one of the first places that I want to take them is the Holocaust Museum. I wonder how many European cities have a Holocaust museum?
    As I mentioned, my daughter was recently in a play based on the diary of Anne Frank. It was performed a half-dozen times over two weeks by our community theatre company, and after every performance people were in tears. If you have a local repertory or community theatre company, ask the director if they would consider presenting "Yours, Anne". One of the most moving dramatic works I have ever seen.

15. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Army5339 @ May 14 2007, 03:58 PM) [snapback]441858[/snapback]</div>
    I agree - and this will be Ver 2.0 of Islams attempt at taking over europe - this time from within.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lowlander @ May 14 2007, 04:52 PM) [snapback]441913[/snapback]</div>
    I think the RNC is having a hard time creating a poll that gives President Bush an approval rating over 30% for the past few years. And I am assuming all the polls conducted by organizations that want us out of Iraq create those poll numbers too - so we best not believe them either.

You assume that there is no anti-semitism in europe, that they are stopping the teaching of the Holocaust in their school systems for what reason, that anti-semitic hate crimes are at unprecedented levels.....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(formerVWdriver @ May 15 2007, 07:32 AM) [snapback]442305[/snapback]</div>
    You may be the wisest person here.

16. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Some quotes for you to ignore, Berman (As posted by the BBC):

These are quotes from experts in Europe and the field of Anti-Semitism.

As i've said before on this board, traditional news services tend to over exaggerate everything. They want something to be sensational, to draw in viewers. It's a sure bet that having a headline about the brutal beating of a Jewish boy in Europe will bring in viewers (and advertising the headline for the previous 24 hours will sway opinion, even before you find out it was just another mugging). If you take any big news topic and poll the populace, a majority of them will side with that news topic, because it's what they've heard. It doesn't matter if they've seen, experienced, or participated in anti-Semitism, it's on the news so "it must be true".

Trust the experts in the field. These are the people who are living it, who are familiar with situation and who don't rely on a sensationalist media to get their facts.

*edited to add speaker information, which was accidentally removed*

17. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    hmmm.... 4 hours, and no response from Berman (plus posts in other areas from him)... ignored like i thought.

18. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "Anti-Semitism is growing. Worse, political correctness keeps it from being recognized."
    This is hypocritical. PC is the tendency to try to appease everyone and offend no one. How does that have anything to do with you feeling persecuted as a jew? PC deters people from saying "i got jewed", camel jockey, redneck or one of many, many, other racially insensitive comments. How is this ADDING to racism?

Why do you have such a big chip on your shoulder Berman?
    There is NO anti-semitism here in PC, and we're a pretty diverse sampling of Americans and other countries? Yet you constantly strive to bring anti-semitism into discussions. Poor Dr B, he's so persecuted, as a successful well educated doctor! Anti-semitism is the exception, not the rule (unless you are Islamic).
    Islamics are clearly anti-Semitic. Are Jews clearly anti-Islamic? Probably.

As for Europe:
    There history with Jews and racism follows the same pattern as Americans and African Americans. It's a dwindling point of view as that group gets integrated and new immigrants draw the ire of those populations.

Jews and Islamics are BOTH TRYING to fuel the fire of hatred towards the other group in Europe in the coming decade and both complain about persecution/racism as a defense at the same time they are trying to funnel hatred to the other group. It's just not feasable that millions of immigrant Islamics can flow into "old Europe" without rekindling the same hatred we see in Isreal. Whether the existing caucasions pick a side or try to moderate or keep the peace is completely up in the air and will depend on the actions of the aforementioned groups. A couple of major terrorist attacks in Europe could go a long way to unite Jews and Christians against Islam (as I believe has happened in the US). Or mass murders of palestinians by Isreal could do the opposite. Who the heck knows? All of this is simple human nature at its dirtiest.

People will always be skeptical of new immigrants regardless of where you live. Americans have gone through a long list of racism towards the newest immigrant group and it's currently focused on Islamics and/or Mexicans, NOT Jews.

19. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ May 15 2007, 11:21 AM) [snapback]442427[/snapback]</div>
    Nice cherry picking - I am therefor assuming there is no anti-semitism at all in europe. thanks for clearing that up for me.

and since the experts in the field in Iraq are telling us to give the surge a year or so - we will go with that too - thanks for your cooperation in advance.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ May 15 2007, 03:58 PM) [snapback]442684[/snapback]</div>
    thanks for clarifying everything for me.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ May 15 2007, 03:19 PM) [snapback]442657[/snapback]</div>
    I have to triage my time at times - and for better or worse this just did not rise to the level of import you assigned it.

a little like the pot and kettle here if you know what i am saying.

20. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    pot and kettle? excuse me? I always provide a decent reply to any post within a reasonable time limit... i don't ignore topics for hours hoping they'll go away because i don't know how to intelligently deal with the post.

your clear sarcastic attitude in replying to two well thought out, well researched posts shows your complete and total disregard of any viewpoint other than your own. notice i didn't post quotes that said there wasn't any anti-semitism in Europe - instead, my quotes said it was in the minority, or that what was being perceived as anti-semitism was in fact acts against Israel, and not necissarily the Jewish people.

Maybe you'd like to spend a few minutes to develop an actually counter argument, instead of simply mocking the opposition?