1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

European Nav DVD

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by vancouverron, Jun 17, 2005.

1. vancouverron

vancouverron New Member

The plan is to take my 2005 Prius to Europe and tour around for about six to nine months. I have the Nav option, and would like to purchase the European DVD, preferably BEFORE leaving the US.
    Could someone please provide the part number for the European DVD?

2. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, & Drapanos, Crete, G
    The Navi DVD without TMC is part number 08 927 00 951 and has a cost of circa 450 Euro.

When will you be coming to Europe? I as as I plan to update the DVD is August, and could sellyou have my old one if you are interested. It supports English and German spoken languages and multiple written languages, including English.

The countries coverd are Western Europe, (east is not yet available).

PM me if you need help getting the DVD or if you want my old one.

3. vancouverron

vancouverron New Member

Thanks for the quick reply, Victor.
    I had the local Toyota dealer check the part number - he could not verify. However, he did mention that it "could" be a Toyota p/n...
    The part number for the 2005 US DVD is 86271-33044. The price quoted is an unbelievable $925., which makes the European DVD look like a bargain. I"ll verify the US price elsewhere and let you know.

My preference would be to buy the latest and greatest version of the European DVD. Looks like I may have to do this through a European Toyota dealership, rather than buying it through the local channels here. Stay tuned for the price re US DVD.

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I think they were mistaken about the price of the DVD. All the sources I have come across was anywhere from $200-$250. Maybe they quoted you the NAV unit itself? Which would sound cheap.

5. vancouverron

vancouverron New Member

This is getting more involved than I thought: First, the 86271-33044 part number I got off my DVD is the original factory-installed DVD. Apparently this original DVD has some other systems stuff on it, and THAT version costs $925. If I only want UPDATES, then that DVD is in the $200. to $250. range.
    HOWEVER, according to the service guy, once you update the system with a new DVD, you cannot go back to the old one. In my case, the caution he points out is that if I install the European DVD, I may not be able to re-install the US DVD later on, unless I pay for the $925. which has apparently some more systems-related stuff on it than just the data base.
    Makes me wonder if this is a bunch of BS.
    I'll read the shop manual on that topic to see if I can learn something more on this...

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Well, I have heard that, and for early versions (in the classic I think), you could not downgrade.

But many have downgraded the 04/05 NAV DVD.

But moving into a European DVD, it may reprogram the NAV itself (possibly the MFD) which may not be reversable.
    As I said before, there is a LOADING.KWI file on the DVD that does look like code. Text in it suggests support for Mini-disc, DVD video, etc.

7. jbreynolds

jbreynolds Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The European nav DVD may not work at all in a North American Prius. Many (all?) European Toyota models use a navigation system made by Aisin AW rather than the Denso system used in NA. This article suggests that the Prius is one of them:

8. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, & Drapanos, Crete, G
    Mine is ASIN.

Inf you go into the hideen maintenance menu, select navigation check you get a screen with all the GPS data. The codes used differ fro an asin compaed to a Denso system. If you look in my photo album at http://www.priuschat.com/forums/album_pic....php?pic_id=1353 you see it says ASIN.

9. jdiazrv

jdiazrv New Member

Now I am VERY CONCERNED!.
    I bought my Prius in the US couple of months ago. Next year I will go back to Spain. I am/was planning to take my Prius with me. I am aware of the dfference in the tires size, the fuel tank, the Thermo, the rear brakes, the rear fog lamp.
    But I never thought I could not replace my US DVD with an European DVD. In fact I asked my local dealer and he told me I could buy an European version.

Anybody can throw a light here?

thanks

10. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

[web:5d5a578a14]http://priuschat.com/forums/images/smiles/icon_idea.gif[/web:5d5a578a14]

11. popserge

popserge New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  12. Cyberjack

Cyberjack New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(popserge\";p=\"106140)</div>
    No, in Europe Mapdata for Toyota is provided by NavTeq.

Michael