1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

European-style Gas Taxes Not Likely To Happen

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When Ulf Brynjestad hears Americans complaining about the high price of gasoline, he shakes his head in wonder.

"I think, 'You live a very protected life,'" said Brynjestad, Sweden's consul general in San Diego. "Americans are used to gas being available and cheap. I don't know why that is."

Brynjestad just returned from three weeks in Stockholm, where gas sells for $5.80 per gallon. Sweden's prices are not out of the ordinary in Western Europe, where a gallon of gas ranges from $5.51 in France to $6.36 in the Netherlands.

"In most European countries, the price of gas is very high, which is why we drive little cars that don't take a lot of gas," said Andre Bordes, France's honorary consul in San Diego.

Full Article

"In addition, the legislature passed weight-related fees on vehicles, from $5 a year on light, compact cars to $25 for Hummers."

sounds good to me

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That does sound good and, if properly applied, would work wonders in Canada and the United States. Instead of the almost impossible task of getting Prius economy out of a Hummer, we should be driving Prius cars instead.

The gas tax could be used to build mass transit, better roads, etc. Unfortunately, at least here in Manitoba, only 7% of the gas tax is actually "allowed" to be spent on roads.

It created a big stink here when it was revealed - just before the Federal Budget - that the vast majority of Canadian gas taxes are gobbled up the Liberal Government and spent who-knows-where.

It sure as h*** isn't on the roads, if the Winnipeg city streets are any example.

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Jay you surprize me some times "properly applied" when in H**l did the federal gov ever properly apply anything. I'm willing to bet you non of them have ever balanced their cheque book. Heck I'd bet you a weeks wages on that one, knowing full well I'd win.

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon\";p=\"101884)</div>
    Frank:

I won't even bother with that bet, I know I'd lose.

That's the paradox we have to deal with: they always want more of our tax money, yet at *least* 2/3 of that tax money mysteriously disappears into "overhead" and is never seen again.

Given the current situation, if I have a choice of paying more taxes, in the vague and probably impossible chance of getting more services, or having a large tax cut, I'd take the tax cut.

And forget about trying to "legislate" higher efficiency: the mindless drones and hacks that we call the Public Service will do nothing to jeapordize their jobs.

If you really want to crank up your blood pressure, take a peek at:

http://www.taxpayer.com

It's enough to make you want to move into a cave and cut off all contact with the world. Anyhoo back to our regularly scheduled programming ...

Jay

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here in BC, we gotta deal with Translink. Ugh. They're forcing all of us to buy bus passes so there goes a few hundred/year (wasted) towards Translink thanks to UBC. Frankly, I wouldn't mind if their transit system actually worked, but they don't so I cannot take it. I mean, who spends $50,000 on glass bus stops that don't shelter you?!?!?!

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've gone to The University of Utah twice, getting two degrees. In the early 90's, you could purchase a hologram from Parking Services that was stuck on your Student ID.

It allowed virtually unlimited use of the UTA bus system, except for special busses like ski busses to Alta or Park City. The UTA system covers Logan down to Provo.

It cost $14 and was good for a year. So it goes without saying I rode the bus almost all the time during the week.

I am a bit miffed that they now offer that pass for free:

http://www.parking.utah.edu/uta.htm

For that reason alone, I should move back to SLC and take another degree at the U.

Speaking of Translink, I moved back to Canada before the Trax light rail system was finished, though I have gone on rides whenever I visit in SLC.

7. Frank Hudon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"Tideland Prius\";p=\"102009\")</div>
    I see that Translink passed the parking spot tax. If I was a business owner I'd close up shop and throw out all my employees and tell them to go and complain to Translink. They all forget that the last time that traffic really moved relatively good was during the l last transit strike. We even got the Morining News Hour as every one on the Translink board was forcasting grid lock.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Jay, our parking is $700. Mandatory bus pass courtesy of Translink is $160. This is for the school year. They've also passed it (and the majority of the students agree) that the mandatory bus pass be implemented for summer terms too. Grr. Taking the bus doubles my commute time to school at the minimum plus you're squished in with other students. Oh and add in Vancouver autumn/winter weather. oye.

Yes they have. It's stupid. I don't know what they're up to but they're trying to find all possible ways to get revenue. I seriously don't know what they're trying to prove. In one of the "Sound Off" on Canada.com, lots of people have expressed their concerns and they all want to see improvements before giving them money as opposed to giving them now and living on promises.

9. Frank Hudon

one hour and 10 minutes to work and 1 hour and 15 home, 20 minutes via Prius to work and 30 minutes home. So 2 hours and 25 minutes via "rapid" transit vs. 50 minutes via Prius. Lets do a survey on which I should choose. Ya right. I do seem to remember some tax payer revolt in CA. regarding BART. I quess I should Google it and readup.

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius\";p=\"102157)</div>
    Well, if the "majority" of students are in favor of such a financial hit on top of tuition/books, etc, there really isn't much you can do about it.

The University of Utah has had a parking problem for years, as they are tucked right up against the foothills by Federal Heights. It's either build more school buildings, and more buildings at the Health Sciences Center, or build more parking lots.

So they actually took some parking lots away and put buildings where the parking lot used to be.

Rather than have "mandatory" parking fees, the U determined anybody "smart" enough to go to college would figure out they could either drive around for +2 hours to find an empty parking stall, or hop one of the frequent busses and on-campus shuttle busses.

At the most, I had to wait 10 mins for a bus. So the system appears to work fairly well down there.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah, they're doing that too. They're building buildings on open air lots (which are quite a bit cheaper per year) and forcing people into the parkades (in which they've jacked up the price this year). Try Translink the next time you're in Vancouver. You won't leave happy.

12. Frank Hudon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius\";p=\"102652)</div>
    you have to warn me when you post comments like that. I'm getting too old to fall off my chair laughing!

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry Frank. I really hope they don't screw up the RAV Line. It sounds promising esp. since I can get downtown without driving. If they're gonna charge a "premium" like $3 adult, back to the car I go.

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius\";p=\"102652)</div>
    Um ... no thanks. My Aunt in PoCo has promised to drive to Vancouver International to pick me up. Think I'll just take her out to supper and call it even.

Jay